Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IL17a - Undo Autism?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by roller, Jan 28, 2016.

1. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3421329/Have-scientists-cure-autism-Blocking-specific-cells-pregnancy-help-prevent-disorder-developing.html

Bob, SickOfSickness and taniaaust1 like this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I think I just read that baicalin works on th17.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    natasa778 likes this.
  3. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

RESEARCH ARTICLE
    The maternal interleukin-17a pathway in mice promotes autismlike phenotypes in offspring

†Corresponding author. E-mail:charles.hoeffer@colorado.edu(C.A.H.);dan.littman@med.nyu.edu(D.R.L.);jun.huh@umassmed.edu(J.R.H.) .*These authors contributed equally to this work

Science 28 Jan 2016: pp.
    DOI: 10.1126/science.aad0314

"Viral infection during pregnancy has been correlated with increased frequency of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in offspring. This observation has been modeled in rodents subjected to maternal immune activation (MIA). The immune cell populations critical in the MIA model have not been identified. Using both genetic mutants and blocking antibodies in mice, we show that retinoic acid receptor–related orphan nuclear receptor γt (RORγt)–dependent effector T lymphocytes [e.g., T helper 17 (TH17) cells] and the effector cytokine interleukin-17a (IL-17a) are required in mothers for MIA-induced behavioral abnormalities in offspring. We find that MIA induces an abnormal cortical phenotype, which is also dependent on maternal IL-17a, in the fetal brain. Our data suggest that therapeutic targeting of TH17 cells in susceptible pregnant mothers may reduce the likelihood of bearing children with inflammation-induced ASD-like phenotypes."

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2016/01/28/science.aad0314.full

wastwater likes this.
  4. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

natasa778 and Bob like this.
  5. adreno

adreno PR activist

Note that this was used to prevent autism-like phenotypes in offspring, not as a cure for those already born.

Hip likes this.
  6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

interesting, thank you!

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep17407

7. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    It's also used as an antiviral.

See more popular forum discussions.