1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IiME: NICE – A Poverty of Reason (Update)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ember, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Excerpt:
    More...
    Valentijn and biophile like this.
  2. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Evidenced-based guidelines today, malpractice tomorrow

Karen S. Sibert, MD | Physician | February 21, 201

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/02/evidencedbased-guidelines-today-malpractice-tomorrow.html

"There are fads in medicine just as there are in fashion — today’s 'evidence-based guidelines' may be tomorrow’s malpractice. [...] The authors of the SCIP core measure cite scientific evidence to support their recommendations. Unfortunately, much of the science has been discredited."

Sound familiar? Reminds me of CBT/GET for ME/CFS, which is little more than a hyped fad and based on questionable superficial evidence which falls apart when its looked at too closely.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Valentijn, Snow Leopard, Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Not just familiar @biophile, but endemic and expected.
    biophile and Sean like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    This begs the question though.
    So they don't expect the evidence base to change, the question is why? Because there is so little research into treatments and clinical outcomes. Doesn't this mean that we should in fact be expanding research funding in these areas since the outcomes right now are so poor?

It seems there is a big gap in the reasoning between different government departments.

They are literally planning to fail.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    biophile and Valentijn like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Most of medicine is not "evidence based" as understood by the majority of those who practice EBM. EBM itself has fundamental flaws in its current practice, that those who promote Science Based Medicine are well aware of. If its not science-based, what kind of evidence is it? EBM at its worst is a managerial practice, run by the numbers with no proper investigation into the research it uses. It presumes, unjustly, that the research it uses is sound, and yet its precisely because we know it is not sound that EBM is promoted. Its medicine by numbers. There needs to be lots more research into this, but there are probably hundreds of thousands of things that need to be studied, with high powered studies ... where is the money coming from? The resources, including unbiased researchers? EBM may be the way of the future but that future is next century at least. This century it threatens to become an evidence based monstrosity.
  6. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I wonder if it is an argument to go to the MRC and NHS research funding and say more funding is needed. And different funding that will lead to treatment.
    biophile likes this.
  7. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    How ironic that the kevinmd.com website should have a 'learning opportunity' written the very next day stating that CBT and GET are the only effective treatments for CFS.....
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Ah, but all the suggestions from authorities about empowering patients, reading the actual frigging research, and the failures of EBM never apply to ME/CFS.

I think ME/CFS is just the current whipping boy of the medical world.
    biophile likes this.
  9. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

odns_cbt-get_me-cfs.jpg
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.