• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ignorance & Anarchy in the Laboratory

jimells

Perhaps one reason so many people distrust 'science' is the simple fact that we are constantly being subjected to lies, propaganda, and fraud. If 'scientists' want us to trust them, they need to start acting trustworthy, instead of accusing people of being ignorant.

The author of "Free Radicals" displays his own ignorance by using the word 'Anarchy' in the subtitle. In spite of a hundred year campaign to equate the word 'anarchy' with 'chaos', 'violence', and 'disorganization', 'anarchy' is actually a political theory based on the concept of cooperation instead of cutthroat competition. A truly radical idea, indeed.

Most of the medical research I have looked at strikes me as being rubbish that is published just to keep the grant money pouring in. Looking through the NIH database, it's incredibly difficult to find anything that is remotely useful. Quantity is more important than quality. If there were a way to use the stuff as garden fertilizer, I could grow Jack's Beanstalk!

When it comes to evaluating medical research, I tend to trust the reports from the Cochrane Collaboration. They seem to understand the concept of integrity, which is really helpful, since I am strictly an amateur when it comes to analyzing research.

I used to work with scientists and found they live in their own little world. Those who have real life experiences are usually sneared at and turfed out.

I just ignore them.

Merry

jimells, I agree that Michael Brook could have chosen a better word than "anarchy" to describe scientists' rule-breaking behavior. Thanks for making me aware of the Cochrane Collaboration.

Thanks, foggy, for your insight from first-hand experience observing scientists in their habitat.