• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If you have tinnitus read this

juniemarie

For those of us who have it, unless we learn how to ignore it, it can drive us mad! Mine is relentless, never stops. Have had it for about 5 yrs. long before I started taking meds & supplements for CFS & Lyme& Co.'s

So I know it was not caused by that.
Nothing I have tried has helped.

3 weeks ago I mixed of some neem oil that I got to control grasshoppers that are devouring my plants. Its a neem concentrate especially for garden use.
Used about 3 tab. in gal. of water, put it into a spray bottle and went about spraying plants.
The next day I noticed my tinnitus was gone….almost didn't notice it was gone as I have trained myself to ignore it.

OK I thought, don't get too excited, could have been something else and its just a coincidence .
On Monday night went through the same process in the garden with the neem spray. I reminded myself before I went to bed to try and remember to notice if I get the same reaction the next day

Got up Tues. morning, and hot damn if it wasn't gone!! It stayed gone all day.
Its back again this morning. I have some neem EO and I think I will buy an ultrasonic diffuser or nebulizer and do some experimenting . Will keep you posted

Keeping in mind neem is not the only ingredient in this product……the other ingredients are not listed
Its possible it could be on of the unknown ingredients ….sigh

Last edited by a moderator:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Very interesting - never heard of it. There's some evidence that directly blocking glutamate receptors in the auditory nerves can treat tinnitus and a quick Google search suggests that neem may be a mild anxiolytic so who knows.

Initially I thought you were talking about DEET which I wouldn't really want to regularly dose with.

Kathevans

I tend not to notice my tinnitus unless I have my earplugs so I can sleep undisturbed--if that isn't an irony! Then it can drive me nuts. I'm looking forward to the results of your experimentation. But I would like to know what else is in that stuff...a call to the manufacturer, perhaps? I wouldn't want to solve an old problem at the expense of a new one! ;)

Hip

I wonder if neem (Azadirachta indica) in the powdered leaf form would also work for your tinnitus. Neem leaf is safe as a supplement, but the internal use of neem oil is more controversial. I imagine that you are ingesting this the neem oil by breathing in some of the mist during your plant spraying.

You can often buy neem leaf capsules and neem oil in Indian (Asian) shops quite cheaply.

Neem may be improving your tinnitus through its ability to increase blood circulation:
Neem leaf extracts can cause the blood vessels to dilate, (Thompson and Anderson, 1978) allowing for increased circulation to the extremities. Ref: 1

the crude extract of A. indica possesses vasodilator effect, mediated through Ca++ channel blockade and NO-dependent atropine-sensitive pathways. Ref: 1

*GG*

For those of us who have it, unless we learn how to ignore it, it can drive us mad! Mine is relentless, never stops. Have had it for about 5 yrs. long before I started taking meds & supplements for CFS & Lyme& Co.'s
So I know it was not caused by that.
Nothing I have tried has helped.
3 weeks ago I mixed of some neem oil that I got to control grasshoppers that are devouring my plants. Its a neem concentrate especially for garden use.
Used about 3 tab. in gal. of water, put it into a spray bottle and went about spraying plants.
The next day I noticed my tinnitus was gone….almost didn't notice it was gone as I have trained myself to ignore it.
OK I thought, don't get too excited, could have been something else and its just a coincidence .
On Monday night went through the same process in the garden with the neem spray. I reminded myself before I went to bed to try and remember to notice if I get the same reaction the next day
Got up Tues. morning, and hot damn if it wasn't gone!! It stayed gone all day.
Its back again this morning. I have some neem EO and I think I will buy an ultrasonic diffuser or nebulizer and do some experimenting . Will keep you posted
Keeping in mind neem is not the only ingredient in this product……the other ingredients are not listed
Its possible it could be on of the unknown ingredients ….sigh

Can you edit this to break it up? Hard to read such a bunch of words/letters. FYI

GG

juniemarie

I don't think ingesting it will work because I am already taking Neem tincture for lyme Doest help, so I'm guessing its the breathing it in part thats important.
@Hip if its helping by increasing circulation, perhaps Ginko would help. But then I would think the tincture would help as well, but its not.
Ya know its probably going to end up being another one of those mysteries we encounter……..constantly

Hip

I don't think ingesting it will work because I am already taking Neem tincture for lyme Doest help, so I'm guessing its the breathing it in part thats important.

Often people do not take a sufficient amount of herbal tincture.

Tinctures are around the 1:5 strength, meaning that if you want to provide the equivalent of 3 grams of dried powdered herb, you need to take 3 x 5 = 15 ml of tincture, which is 3 teaspoons of tincture.

Often you find people taking something like 30 drops of tincture, which is around 1 ml. So this would be 15 times too little.

If you are taking herbal tinctures, think in terms of doses of a few teaspoons of tincture liquid, not drops, in order to get the equivalent dried herb dose.

Refs:
Dosage calculations & extract equivalency in herbal medicine
Milligram to Milliliter Equivalents

Last edited:

Hip

By the way, when it comes to neem oil, this is considered an essential oil, so like all essential oils, here the dosage would be in terms of drops. When I tried taking neem oil internally some time ago, I was using 4 drops daily.

Though internal use of neem oil is not recommended, ay least for the long term, due to toxicity; and it is advised that neem should not be taken by pregnant women or those trying to conceive.

juniemarie

Found out the neem oil is too viscous to use in a diffuser, so back to the drawing board.
Maybe a mild castile soap to make it able to mix with water, and spray it around my head as I breathe
The product I use in the garden is 70% neem….so 30% unknown

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
if its helping by increasing circulation, perhaps Ginko would help. But then I would think the tincture would help as well, but its not.
How often do you take the tincture? I was taking 60 mg tablets twice a day and they were reducing my tinnitus. I went to visit my parents and did not take them with me. The drug store there had 40 mg tablets, so I took one three times a day. That reduced my tinnitus more.

tango

What's the latest on the neem oil? I have some here that I can put in a diffuser although I don't know that it's the most pleasant scent.

I think mine started when I changed my vitamin regime but I've experimented since and not been able to fix it. About a month ago it got worse - now I have multiple sounds in one ear at the same time. The crickets are constant and never stop so I haven't identified any obvious triggers