Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

if methylation problem, then why does niacinamide help?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by ebethc, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

this is perplexing to me... So many w my symptoms / SNPs have been helped by mfolate/mb12, and it seems like I should be, too. However, niacinamide (which supposedly shuts down methylation) helps my symptoms... brain fog, joint pain, generalized anxiety.

thanks for any insight on this..

August59 likes this.
  2. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Senior Member

Western Nebraska
    From http://www.sona.ie/nutritional-guide/vitamins/niacinvitaminb3

"Niacin is used in the process of releasing energy from carbohydrates. Niacin is involved in the production of NAD, required for redox reactions in glycolysis and in Krebs cycle during oxidative phosphorylation. It serves as a co-enzyme for a group of enzymes known as dehydrogenase. These dehydrogenase enzymes are responsible for innumberable biochemical reactions in the body including detoxifying alcohol (alcohol dehydrogenase) and utilizing carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

Niacin is required in the production of NADPH which is needed for the synthesis of both fatty acids and steroids. It is also involved in the pentose phosphate shunt pathway, which is one way ribose is synthesized."

So maybe your body needed more B3 for those metabolic processes.

Gondwanaland, August59 and ebethc like this.
  3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Interesting - thanks!

Is alcohol a byproduct of candida?

Interesting re fatty acids and steroids, because Omegas make me feel so much better and steroids are made by adrenals (mine are very weak).

Gondwanaland likes this.
  4. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Senior Member

Western Nebraska
    Gondwanaland and ebethc like this.

See more popular forum discussions.