• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

if methylation problem, then why does niacinamide help?

ebethc

this is perplexing to me... So many w my symptoms / SNPs have been helped by mfolate/mb12, and it seems like I should be, too. However, niacinamide (which supposedly shuts down methylation) helps my symptoms... brain fog, joint pain, generalized anxiety.

thanks for any insight on this..

Lynn_M

From http://www.sona.ie/nutritional-guide/vitamins/niacinvitaminb3

"Niacin is used in the process of releasing energy from carbohydrates. Niacin is involved in the production of NAD, required for redox reactions in glycolysis and in Krebs cycle during oxidative phosphorylation. It serves as a co-enzyme for a group of enzymes known as dehydrogenase. These dehydrogenase enzymes are responsible for innumberable biochemical reactions in the body including detoxifying alcohol (alcohol dehydrogenase) and utilizing carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

Niacin is required in the production of NADPH which is needed for the synthesis of both fatty acids and steroids. It is also involved in the pentose phosphate shunt pathway, which is one way ribose is synthesized."

So maybe your body needed more B3 for those metabolic processes.

ebethc

From http://www.sona.ie/nutritional-guide/vitamins/niacinvitaminb3

These dehydrogenase enzymes are responsible for innumberable biochemical reactions in the body including detoxifying alcohol (alcohol dehydrogenase) and utilizing carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

Niacin is required in the production of NADPH which is needed for the synthesis of both fatty acids and steroids. It is also involved in the pentose phosphate shunt pathway, which is one way ribose is synthesized."

Interesting - thanks!

Is alcohol a byproduct of candida?

Interesting re fatty acids and steroids, because Omegas make me feel so much better and steroids are made by adrenals (mine are very weak).