Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

If Lyme feeds off Magnesium, is it a good idea to supplement with it, or will that feed it more?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Bansaw, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

The Lyme bacteria is theorized to steal magnesium to feed itself.
    Is it the case that we should supplement to replace it, or would that just cause the Lyme bacteria to grow stronger on the supplements we add?

Magnesium MaIate am thinking of buying.

ps: I have lowered kidney function, so I hear that people like me have to be wary of Magnesium. Any comments?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i did once hear that we shouldn't supplement with it but I also heard that about iron too...and vitamin D....i am not sure how accurate it all is. I would just do what the LLMD says, personally...

xo

3. dadouv47

dadouv47 Senior Member

Belgium
    Because of what you mentioned, I read it's better to get subcutaneous magnesium (or intra-muscular). Never tried though.

4. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

I would do neither and test heavy metals panel first, as part of this panel usually includes a Magnesium level.
    (It's pointless taking supplements unless we actually know our levels before supplementation begins).

BUT....If you can't afford that, I would take Magneisum Threonate which has some antiretroviral properties. Also make sure you aren't intolerant or allergic to Malate. Some people with MCAS can't tolerate supplements with Malate in.

See more popular forum discussions.