Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

If I begin B12 5000mcg, do I need a Potassium supplement ?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Bansaw, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Why does B12 induce Potassium depletion?

And, if I take 5000mcg per day, what Potassium supplement should I be thinking about, and how much Potassium should I take?
    It is possible to take too much potassium right? It looks like a delicate balance is called for, but I don't know how much.

2. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I have blood tests done often to check potassium & sodium. Potassium levels can plummet quickly, and yes it's also harmful if it goes too high. Best thing is to titrate it based on bloodwork because everyone has different needs & diet & absorption, etc... A basic metabolic panel will tell you what your level is, and it's one of the cheapest blood tests to have done.

This year I seem to need 750-1500mg of supplemental potassium daily, taking ~2mg of mB12 daily. I needed about 4x that amount when I was on Florinef last year. Your need for potassium will likely be different than mine.

See more popular forum discussions.