• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If I begin B12 5000mcg, do I need a Potassium supplement ?

Bansaw

Why does B12 induce Potassium depletion?

And, if I take 5000mcg per day, what Potassium supplement should I be thinking about, and how much Potassium should I take?
It is possible to take too much potassium right? It looks like a delicate balance is called for, but I don't know how much.

BadBadBear

I have blood tests done often to check potassium & sodium. Potassium levels can plummet quickly, and yes it's also harmful if it goes too high. Best thing is to titrate it based on bloodwork because everyone has different needs & diet & absorption, etc... A basic metabolic panel will tell you what your level is, and it's one of the cheapest blood tests to have done.

This year I seem to need 750-1500mg of supplemental potassium daily, taking ~2mg of mB12 daily. I needed about 4x that amount when I was on Florinef last year. Your need for potassium will likely be different than mine.