• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If "23andMe" is offline, where can we get tested?

Just wondering about that. I've been writing a letter to my family trying to explain the little I know so far about this MTHFR stuff (I haven't sent it yet) , and now I don't even know what to tell them - "Here's where you COULD HAVE gotten affordable testing". Understandably, I see the importance of sharing this info with others who are in my same gene pool, who might REALLY avoid some nasty health consequences with just a little bit of the right information.

Are there other companies/sites where they could still get this done? Here or out of the country (since this might be a necessity in the immediate future!)

It doesn't seem clear at all what the status of 23andMe is currently, or might be in the future. This is probably fodder for a different post, but I am really ticked off about this seeming witch hunt by the FDA. I can practically smell the big money and influence behind all this. God forbid us citizens actually get inexpensive, and important health information about ourselves. (!!!!)

Thanks!

bel canto

23andme still analyses the snp's, and gives ancestry information, but will not do the health-related interpretations. For methylation and detox information, you can download your raw data from 23andme, then upload to geneticgenie who will produce a report of the snp's such as MTHFR and others discussed in this forum and others. MTHFR support also has an app that will give a larger number of snp's that it believes are important.

However, neither of those does the overall health analysis such as increased or decreased risk for certain health conditions, such as diabetes.