• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension May be Caused by Reactivation of Latent Cerebral Toxoplasmosis

adreno

PR activist
Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension May be Caused by Reactivation of Latent Cerebral Toxoplasmosis Due to Various Medications and Biologic Substances (pp. 273-336)

Authors: (Joseph Prandota,Dept.of Social Pediatrics,University Medical School,Wroclaw,Poland)

Abstract:
Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) presents with headaches associated with an increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure. Recently, we have demonstrated that recurrent headaches in non-HIV-infected subjects were due to acquired cerebral toxoplasmosis (CT). The aim of this chapter was therefore to focus on the pathomechanisms that may lead to reactivation of latent CT and manifest as IIH. Literature informations and other data cited in this work were selected to illustrate that various medications and biologic substances may affect latent CNS T. gondii infection/ inflammation intensity and/or host defense mechanisms (the production of NO, cytokines, tryptophan degradation by indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO), mechanisms mediated by an IFN- responsive gene family, limiting the availability of intracellular iron to T. gondii, production of reactive oxygen/nitrogen species) and cause choroid plexitis and/or vasculitis. Examples of such triggers revealing IIH and accompanying disturbances of IFN--mediated immune responses that control T. gondii include: minocycline (decreased NO, iNOS, TNF-, IFN-; IL-1, PGE2, COX-2 expression, activity (?), increased TNF- and IL-6), retinoids (decreased NO synthesis, iNOS-2, TNF-; increased IFN-, IL-2, TGF-1, IL-12), nitrofurantoin (hyperproduction of ROS; redox reactions regulate IDO and tryptophan metabolism), muronabad CD3 (increased NO, TNF-, IFN-, IL-2, IL-6, IL-8). These irregularities could markedly impair host defense mechanisms important for immune control of the parasite, and finally reactivate latent CNS T. gondii infection. Therefore, in subjects with IIH, pseudotumor cerebri and/or aseptic meningitis, test(s) for T. gondii infection should be seriously taken into consideration. It seems that headaches and meningitis are clinical manifestations of the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction in CT.
https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=38720

Intracranial Hypertension seems fairly common in ME. Thoughts?

DeGenesis

And to think I ate an undercooked patty the other day.

I have been interested in T. Gondii for a while. It is possibly implicated in schizophrenia, personality changes, slowed reflexes leading to motor collisions, eye damage in immunocompromised persons, and now, intracranial hypertension..

I get very obsessed about proper cooking hygiene and people around me seem to think I'm being very silly. I don't. If you think something isn't cooked thoroughly don't eat it. Don't make my mistake. So far I haven't had a fever or digestive upset so I think I dodged a bullet. I think it's also more common in pork as well.

Last edited:

barbc56

Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) presents with headaches associated with an increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure. Recently, we have demonstrated that recurrent headaches in non-HIV-infected subjects were due to acquired cerebral toxoplasmosis (CT)

Are the authors saying this is the only reason for IIH or that it could be one of the reasons. The authors go on to say:

Therefore, in subjects with IIH, pseudotumor cerebri and/or aseptic meningitis, test(s) for T. gondii infection should be seriously taken into consideration

Did something get lost in the translation or am I lost as I don't know about this condition?

Barb

anciendaze

I'd point out that Dr. Paul Cheney has been long talking about "leaky capillaries" in the brain, and about changes in regulation of fluids to reduce intracranial pressure as a compensating mechanism which causes dysregulation of fluids and electrolytes, plus the entire HPA axis. He does not however postulate a particular pathogen responsible.

I've been following research on invasion of endothelial tissues by cytotoxic T-cells as part of a runaway inflammatory response caused by signalling defects. This might also produce "leaky capillaries", and a cascade of problems like those seen in CFS.

We might be seeing a convergence of research on common problems caused by a variety of pathological processes.

Help I am finding that Drs. do not know how to diagnose Toxo and are misdiagnosing it as cancer especially if it is in cysts form and antibodies are not showing up intests and they will not consider sending blood serum or sputum to reference Labs..People are dying here folks.