1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Identification of replication competent gammaretroviruses in PC cell lines

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by currer, Jan 6, 2012.

1. currer

currer Senior Member

2. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Anyone like to hazard a guess at the implications of these two statements?

My uninformed opinion would be that (a) BSL level 2 is inappropriate when handling these cell lines or similarly infected biologicals and/or (b) any infected cell lines/biologicals should be withdrawn from research use due to the currently unknown potential confounding impact on any experiments.

Any thoughts?

3. currer

currer Senior Member

Hi Marco,

This problem - the confounding effect of contaminating retroviruses on the outcome of research was discussed in scientific journals years ago - the late eighties if I remember correctly - the problem was that admitting that your research had been carried out on contaminated cell lines could undo years of work and the reputation that goes with it - hence researchers colluded in silence on this problem.

For far too long by the look of it.

See more popular forum discussions.