• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ice Bucket for the Microbe Discovery project

snowathlete

My brother, bless him, did the ice bucket challenge today but he did it to raise money for the Lipkin's Microbe Discovery project.
I understand that a lot of people are now doing the challenge but for diseases other than ALS.

Here's the video. Feel free to share it and encourage others to do the challenge for this reason as well.

Bob

Aww, send a massive thank you to your brother from us all please snowathlete! :) That's very kind and supportive of him :)

I've got to go to bed now, but the team will be in touch to ask you about sharing the video on the project's Facebook page etc.

Here's the forum thread for the Lipkin microbe discovery project, for anyone who hasn't spotted it yet:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...crowdfunding-campaign-news-and-updates.29430/

geraldt52

That is really fantastic, and I hadn't even thought of that. I wasn't aware that people had begun doing the challenge for illnesses other than ALS.

Honestly, that makes a lot more sense to me than trying to come up with some other challenge, which somehow strikes me as kind of cheesy by comparison. I can't see why the ALS people would be upset...it has served them well, and it isn't about the ice bucket after all, it's about ALS, or in our case ME/CFS. I wholeheartedly support using the ice bucket challenge to support ME/CFS, and I do hope people jump on the bandwagon. I don't begrudge the ALS folks their $42M or whatever they've raised, but surely we'd be deserving of $1M.

snowathlete

Yes, I have a good brother. My sister in law did it too but I haven't got that video yet.
Hopefully it'll help a bit, we need to do all we can to support Lipkin's work on our behalf and I figure this is one way to do that. Hopefully it'll catch on!