• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IBS - I need some advice

Bob

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the tips and info. I really appreciate it. I'll take my time to consider everything carefully. I think I'll start with an elimination diet rather than any supplements, fibres and starches etc. I'll take my time to consider and experiment with supplements because I nearly always find that supplements recommended for ME tend to make my situation worse, so I'm very cautious about them. A course of fairly ordinary probiotics caused my current predicament.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
I've not tried any of those. I'm reacting violently to ordinary probiotics and dairy products so I don't want to experiment with probiotics or prebiotics.
That's of course up to you. But those probiotics are soil-based, not dairy based. An entirely different ballgame.

Bob

I have tried pysyllium. I had it in my cupboard because i find it very useful for occasional constipation. I tried it recently and think it slightly helped the loose stools, but it didn't resolve any other of the IBS symptoms. It may be worth trying again, along with the other fibres and starches suggested above. I haven't tried any of the other fibres and starches suggested. I'll consider them carefully. Thanks again for all the tips.

Last edited:
@Bob - I do very bad with dairy containing probiotics, such as yogurt, and most probiotics seem to bother me. The one exception was VSL#3, but the last time I tried to get it there was a supply problem. My mother had the same experience ... she used to have IBS, and still does poorly with probiotics, but tried some of my VSL#3 for a few days when I was visiting, and felt much better on it.

It is expensive, however, and has to be kept cool, which might make shipping complicated.

snowathlete

As you react to probiotics, if you decide at some point to try them again, then I would suggest taking only single strain probiotics, one at a time, that way you know what helps and what hinders. Take one of the popular brands such as VSL3 which has several different species and/or genera covered and you may react and think all are bad for you when in fact it may be just one or two that are problematic for you, while others may well help you.
Just my personal experience for what it's worth.

Hip

Yes please, if you don't mind, and it's not too much hassle for you.

To start with, one thing that made a nice improvement to my IBS-D was removing the chloramine (NH2Cl) disinfectant from my drinking and cooking tap water. Chloramine disrupts the epithelial lining of the intestines. Not all water utilities put chloramine in the tap water supply, so you would need to check if your water utility does or not. More info: IBS Improved After Removing Chloramine (Not the Same as Chlorine) From My Drinking Water

The herbs/supplements that made a substantial improvement to my IBS-D were:

Triphala (an Indian herbal formula for the gut, often sold inexpensively in powder form in Asian food shops)
Chyawanprash (another Indian herbal formula for the gut)
Turmeric 1000 mg (can be bought very cheaply by the kilo in Asian food shops)
Peppermint oil capsules
He shou wu (Chinese herb)
Prebiotics like inulin
Horny goat weed
(Epimedium)

Out of the 100s of supplements I tried, these are the ones that have helped my IBS-D (roughly in order of efficacy, with the most effective at the top). Note that my IBS-D was so severe that on most days I had no solid stools at all, just water coming out.

Bob

Thanks very much for your list, Hip. I'll keep them in mind.

Turmeric 1000 mg (can be bought very cheaply by the kilo in Asian food shops)
Turmeric is on the top of my list of supplements to try because I've seen it recommended for a two or three issues that I'm experiencing, including IBS. But I'm very cautious about taking any supplements right now, so i've been putting it off.

Peppermint oil capsules
Peppermint is one of the supplements that I've reacted negatively to in the past, whenever I've taken it.
It seemed to help my (mild) irritable gut symptoms terrifically, but i reacted negatively to it in other ways - I can't remember how exactly but it either made me light-headed or made me feel generally unwell.

BTW, enerteric coated capsules are recommended so that the peppermint is deposited in the lower regions of the gut rather than the stomach.

Last edited:

msf

I had a similar problem, but the FODMAP diet helped to the extent that I now almost have the opposite problem...

Bob

I had a similar problem, but the FODMAP diet helped to the extent that I now almost have the opposite problem...
Psyllium has always sorted mild constipation for me. And it seems to be neutral in terms of IBS symptoms, for me. (But we're all different of course.)

msf

Haha, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm kind of enjoying not going to the toilet all the time at the moment!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Sorry Bob - haven't read the whole thread- Brain a bit dead!

I have had awful problems with my stomach over the years and nothing seemed to help until 2 things happened

1. I went on holiday for a month and my diet changed - no brown or wholemeal bread only white (I know how naughty!) Meals were a lot of pasta with vegetables.

2, igg testing showed problems with just eggs - nothing else. Since removing eggs from my doet I now have pretty much no pain ever and a great stomach again- I also steer clear of bread especially wholemeal...

Bob

I didn't have any white rice in my cupboard so I've just had a bowl of plain quinoa instead. Probably not a good idea, but everything is causing havoc at the moment so it won't make any difference if it doesn't agree with me. Will buy white rice in my next groceries shop. And I might try plain boiled potatoes tomorrow, but didn't feel up to peeling them today.

Thanks again for all the tips and info, everyone.

msf

Just fyi, Bob, I follow a rather strict interpretation of the FODMAP diet - I am basically try to limit my intake of even the vegetables that FODMAP allows - if you notice, they sometimes say 'pine nuts, no more than 15 nuts, or something similar. I think this may have more to do with insoluble fibre than the FODMAPs themselves, but I have found that reducing this has helped, as has reducing resistant starch. I realise that both of measures may also have some bad effects, but I feel that getting your gut working normally is the first step, then you can try to work out how to get enough vitamins/fibre in your diet. For plant vitamins and minerals, I think things such as almond milk are good, since they don't contain fibre. I also do not consume caffeine (even green tea!) or alcohol.

Bob

This is from the Stanford document that adreno gave a link to earlier...
I'm reading it for the first time...
Standford University Medical Center said:
The FODMAPs in the diet are:
  • Fructose (fruits, honey, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), etc)
  • Lactose (dairy)
  • Fructans (wheat, garlic, onion, inulin etc)
  • Galactans (legumes such as beans, lentils, soybeans, etc)
  • Polyols (sweeteners containing isomalt, mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, stone fruits such as avocado, apricots, cherries, nectarines, peaches, plums, etc)
It's interesting that avocados are mentioned because an avocado set off my symptoms in the early stages of this episode of IBS, and I was very surprised by it. I thought a simple food like that would be safe.

mermaid

I have had IBS issues for more than 40 years, but mostly under pretty good control now.

I also had problems with normal type probiotics - maybe due to the dairy, or perhaps the FOS that they put in. I tried Prescript Assist with no problems. Also tried Symprove, a liquid probiotic, non dairy and was OK with that too. I now make my own kefir (non dairy, but I am not suggesting that you do this at this stage).

I have found that the food issues are so individual - what upsets one person doesn't another, though avoiding bread I think is useful as many people have issues with perhaps the wheat and/or the yeast. I do a kind of modified FODMAP diet, but again, we are all different as I am OK with avocado!

I also have Functional Dyspepsia on top of IBS so some foods I have to avoid due to that. I took 5 yrs slowly getting on top of mine and doing eliminations.

Certainly white rice is helpful and I know my mother who used to get diarrhoea a lot used it, and it was non irritating and used to slow the gut down. I eat white rice twice a week and have no problems with it.

I have used Slippery Elm at times and found it helpful and soothing incidentally.