1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IBS? Gastrointestinal infections can cause the immune system to attack friendly microbes

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Simon, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    A new paper in Science shows that an acute gastroinstestinal infection of mice with Toxoplasmosis Gondii can lead to an immune reaction against some commensal (friendly/symbiotic) bacteria. Perhaps this could could go some way to explain how gastrointestinal infections can trigger IBS.

There is quite a lot of evidence that IBS is much more likely to occur after a gastrointestinal infection e.g. the Giaida parasite. There is a study comparing 'functional somatic syndromes' CFS and IBS, finding that while there were 'many similar predisposing factors', viral infections were more likely to trigger CFS and gastrointestinal infections trigger IBS. Just maybe IBS, a 'functional somatic' gut disorder is triggered by a gut infection because there is a biological link between the initial gut infection and subsequent gut disorder? The Science paper above suggests one possible biological mechanism that might be involved.

See more popular forum discussions.