Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IBS & additives in supplements

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by ebethc, Sep 26, 2015.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I'm taking another look at my diet and what I can to do improve it... Can anyone tell me about the common ingredients in supplements that cause problems for ibs? I know that I'm sensitive to binders in food (carageenan, at least), so maybe i'm overlooking the cellulose, etc. that's in supplements. I'm starting FODMAP this week or next, so I'm guessing that cellulose affects a FODMAP plan.

thanks.

sarah darwins likes this.
  2. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    I am going by notes I have taken in the past...........don't have any links to provide......just my notes. What to avoid in supplements: 1) Citric Acid.....in most instances this is not from any fruit.....it's a toxic chemical. 2)anything that says natural flavors= more mystery chemicals 3)alcohol 4)bovine derivitaves=not so good hormones......although some people benefit? 5)anything in the OTHER ingredient list=crazytown with too many preservatives. Having noted these things........it's hard to find pure quality supplements without a lot of added ingredients but they are out there.

ebethc likes this.
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Bulk powder is a way to avoid additives.

ebethc likes this.
  4. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Carrageenan (which is an extract from Irish moss seaweed) is a special case, as this is pro-inflammatory, which is not what you want in IBS.

6. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

thanks, @Hip

Do you know if other binders/gums/emulsifiers are as bad? I see xanthan gum and guar gum all the time

7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I am not aware of any other supplement ingredients that might cause ill effects. I do notice that certain supplement sellers are cultivating irrational concerns in consumers about added supplement ingredients, in what looks to be a marketing ploy, so that they can sell their own brand of supplements.

Here is what Dr Ray Sahelian says about the common supplement ingredient magnesium stearate:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    whodathunkit likes this.
  8. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    That's interesting. Carrageenan is a big migraine trigger for me but I hadn't investigated what its properties were, just avoided it (European E number E407, for anyone who's interested).

ebethc likes this.
  9. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

thanks, @Hip ...and touche, re the marketing ploys :)

10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

It's good to bear in mind that there can be marketing ploys, but on the other hand, with IBS, you do need to make observations about what may worsen your condition.

I think it is a bit irresponsible of manufacturers to be fabricating these marketing ploys when they don't appear to exist. It means when there is a genuine issue, nobody may listen. Like crying wolf.

If you put "supplements fillers" in Google, you find a whole raft or articles suggesting that various supplement binder, filler and flow agent ingredients are hazardous to health — but with little or no science to back it up.

The first time I heard someone say they got ill effects from carrageenan, I assumed it was just another marketing fabrication that they had been taken in by. But when I did a bit more reading into carrageenan, I learnt that it has potent effects on the body, so I realized that carrageenan may well affect sensitive people.

I have both ME/CFS and IBS-D myself, and I know I have to be careful about what I eat, as some things worsen my IBS (hot spices, or more than 1 unit of alcohol).

By the way, I am not sure which IBS you have, but for my IBS-D, I found the following very helpful.

Treatments for IBS-D:
    Triphala herb 1500 mg
    Imodium (loperamide) 2 mg
    Chyawanprash (Indian herbal formula) 1 heaped teaspoon
    Prebiotics (like inulin, 2 heaped teaspoon)
    Sesame seed oil 1 tablespoon (15 ml)
    Peppermint oil 200 mg
    Turmeric level teaspoon
    Manuka honey

The above IBS-D treatments are given in order of effectiveness, so triphala I found to be the best.

whodathunkit likes this.
  11. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I have IBS-C..

thanks, @Hip

See more popular forum discussions.