The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IBM Is Counting on Its Bet on Watson, and Paying Big Money for It

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ysabelle-S, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

This looks interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/17/t...-watson-and-paying-big-money-for-it.html?_r=0

WIJan, Cheshire, Webdog and 7 others like this.
  2. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    Give it to the UK and I bet it would recommend CBT or GET ;)

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    AI is subject to the GIGO effect, or in this case BIBO, babble in, babble out. Humans are still needed in the loop. Its a useful tool otherwise.

BurnA, Forbin and PennyIA like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Keep in mind that this is the computer that, when the Final Jeopardy question was in the category "U.S. Cities," answered... "Toronto." :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    worldbackwards and Ysabelle-S like this.
  5. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    LOL, Canada wants to be part of the USA ;)

GG

BurnA likes this.
  6. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

8 out of 9 ME/CFS sufferers remain undiagnosed. Many have been sick for years, yet remain undiagnosed.

The bar has been set so low; I have no doubt a computer could do better.

7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
  8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

You'd wonder if the doctors just did a Google search would they have found the same thing ?

Sounds like the doctors just didn't know about some new or possibly new treatments.
    Is it more a poor reflection on the doctors than about how amazing Watson is ?

9. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I watched the TV broadcast so I arrived at a good understanding of it. Watson is able to sift through thousands of scientific articles and find the best treatment for an individual patient. No doctor on earth has that sort of time. If you watched the video I think you'd come to the same conclusion that it is at the very least a valuable data mining instrument. If I had cancer I'd want to see what it could find.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/artificial-intelligence-making-a-difference-in-cancer-care/

Ysabelle-S, BurnA and Webdog like this.
  10. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Hmmm, sounds like a first pass search only. I suspect it can't really tell good research from bad? Or even if it can do that a bit (e.g., look for key phrases like RCT etc.), it wouldn't have a very nuanced view. I also wonder how many of the "new treatments" it found not mentioned by doctors were things like reiki therapy?

Perhaps it could be really useful if you could teach it the kinds of biases its likely to encounter in the information it processes. Maybe.

TiredSam and BurnA like this.
  11. WIJan

WIJan

Ysabelle I thought the same thing! I heard about the 60 Minutes segment on Watson and cancer then earlier this week CBS This Morning interviewed IBM CEO GInni Rometty about Watson and it's potential in medicine. It would be amazing to have ME/CFS research synthesized by Watson. I think the potential to identify promising research patterns sort out sub-types, link research and researchers, and more would facilitate progress on cause and treatment (and perhaps cure) of this disease tremendously!

Ysabelle-S and *GG* like this.

See more popular forum discussions.