Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IAPT - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies - manages CG53!!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Keela Too, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Mary Dimmock tweeted this yesterday. Did anyone else know this? I didn't. No wonder we are making no progress with the CG53 guideline. No wonder there is a psycho-social, behavioural bias!

Duh.. just realised.. it's IAPT - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies - not "increasing" as I first put in the title. Duh.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Woolie, atleje, moosie and 13 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    A psych organization developing NICE guidelines for CFS and ME?

3. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    "Liked" as liking for posting, but horrified by content.

4. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    I don't think IAPT is managing the guidance for CFS. I think it is just that CFS is one of the conditions covered by the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies project.

In which case, the list of NICE guidances given on the page is just provided as helpful information. I hope so anyway.

(i.e. NICE guidances for 'conditions <that are> managed by IAPT')
    Regardless, having IAPT address CFS/ME is so wrong (and a waste of money).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Woolie, Jan, Luther Blissett and 5 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

IAPT is within the NICE organization if I am interpreting the NICE logo correctly. So management of the guidelines is within a psych suborganization. That proves nothing but implies a lot.

Jan, moosie, Luther Blissett and 7 others like this.
  6. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Ah @Hutan I see now how the page could be read that way. It's a strange one certainly.

Edit to add: Yet they do say "managed" by IAPT, not that they provide complementary services towards the management of....

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The question is to what extent IAPT are just using NICE guidelines, and to what extent are they influencing NICE guidelines?

Jan, Luther Blissett, Barry53 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

In theory that may be the case. However, the more I see of this the more it seems to me that one has to conclude that there is a commercial marketing programme for therapist-delivered treatments heavily influencing NICE policy, which is treated quite differently from 'commercial pharma'. Would an 'Increasing Access to Drug Therapies' outfit be welcomed by NICE?

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Just to highlight what we expect from their guidelines, the advice for SEVERE ME includes -

10. Jonathan Edwards

Looking at the sites a bit more it seems that IAPT is some sort of policy unit within the NHS and IS managing NICE guidelines for ME. Effectively it is part of the NICE machinery. But I am pretty sure it also involves commercial interests, even if those are disguised as academic units making money out of training people in non-validated techniques. I think things are as bad as it looks.

The whole problem, as I see it here, is that as long as peer review and validation is kept within psychological medicine there will be nodding through of therapies without any hard evidence. The NHS has been persuaded that therapists are cheap and so they are happy to buy in services.

medfeb, Woolie, aaron_c and 24 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

"People with severe CFS/ME should be offered an individually tailored activity management programme (see recommendation 1.6.2.22) as the core therapeutic strategy, which may:
    • be delivered at home, or using telephone or email if appropriate
    • incorporate the elements of recommendation 1.6.2.22 and draw on the principles of CBT and GET (see recommendations 1.6.2.1–21)."
    This is a travesty of evidenced based recommendation. You do not recommend drug therapies 'drawing on the principles of clinical pharmacology'. You test specific regimens and publish evidence for their validity. Nobody knows if 'principles' of CBT and GET have anything to do with any efficacy of those treatments - especially when we have no such evidence of efficacy and nobody can agree what the principles really are.

How on earth are we going to know that an email system that draws on principles is effective?
    How come if a digital system is being advocated that a book out of the library is not just as good?
    I have a suspicion the therapists may be marketing themselves out of business soon. After all, there is no evidence that the results of PACE cannot be obtained with robots.

12. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    This is heart sinking :(

mango, Jan, Binkie4 and 9 others like this.
  13. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    Perhaps perhaps they will be happy to be convinced that troublesome CG53 is misplaced under IAPT and will be keen to move us onto another department?!

14. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

But if NICE accept this approach in one area then perhaps the drug companies will argue that is is sufficient in other areas. Hence the drug companies could start arguing that NICE should accept the drug therapies that are 'drawing on the principles of clinical pharmacology'.

15. Jonathan Edwards

But the drug companies are 'them' not 'us'. Simple human nature is capable of baulking such logical suggestions!

16. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Probably, if it were both sufficiently cheap and had an integrated mechanism for ignoring patients who say it isn't effective.

17. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

@charles shepherd do you know about this?
    Can someone ?@Jonathan Edwards contact him directly
    This makes a complete mockery of any Guideline Review.

18. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

I have posted some info to MEA Facebook page.

19. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

:thumbsup:

20. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

One of the early AI experiments involved a psychotherapy program Eliza
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA
    and that was from 1966

See more popular forum discussions.