The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ian Lipkin's talk to patients about his research inc plans for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Simon, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Action for M.E. | Our news | Prof Lipkin seminar video now online

On his way back from the CMRC conference to the US, Ian Lipkin stopped off to talk to patients in London at an event organised by Action for ME and the ME Association:

Prof Lipkin seminar video now online
    16 October

Our video of infectious disease expert Prof Ian Lipkin's seminar hosted in London by Action for M.E. and the ME Association on 3 September 2014 has finally been approved by Prof Lipkin's PA and is now live on our YouTube channel.

Clocking in at just over 40 minutes, we decided to split the video into four parts so that people with M.E. can dip in and out of them in their own time more easily.

We had to edit out part of the seminar in part four of the video series at the request of Prof Lipkin's PA because Prof Lipkin began discussing research that hasn't yet been published, so don't be too confused when the video fades out and back in.

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Thank you Simon!

That's wonderful and very useful to have them split into "bite size" chunks.

The sound isn't very good on the one I just started looking at and I hope it improves on the others? He talks very fast which doesn't help.

That's just a remark and I am very grateful that you have done this.

If anyone comes across a transcript could they please post a link here.

NK17, beaker, rosie26 and 5 others like this.
  3. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Thanks for letting us know Simon - unfortunately the sound is truly awful - I can barely hear him and their is also a nasty high pitched noise in the background. I don't have severe sensitivity to noise and sound, but this is unbearable for me to watch - what a shame, was so excited to hear this. I wonder if anything can be done to clean it up by AFME? Or if their is a transcript available?

NK17, Ritto, aimossy and 1 other person like this.
  4. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Just quickly dipped into video 3 and 4 and their is still too much background noise - it will require too much concentration by most PWME to be able to watch. Sorry to be a downer - just a shame that these sorts of things cant be done right for patients - its a bit like having Dunkin Donuts sponser a diabetes conference!

Ritto and Simon like this.
  5. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

Hopefully Action for ME or the ME Association might produce a transcript. I have been really looking forward to this too and find the video really hard to handle. I will try again.

rosie26, Ritto, Kati and 3 others like this.
  6. Action for M.E.

Action for M.E.

Bristol
    Thanks for your feedback on the films, and apologies that you are experiencing such poor sound quality. We are trying to clean this up as we speak, and hope to upload improved versions as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please do see Simon McGrath's excellent overview of Prof Lipkin's presentation at the UK CFS/M.E. Research Collaborative conference - he covered much of the same ground in the filmed seminar, which took place the day after.

7. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

The sound is now a lot better - I just watched them. Thank you to whoever fixed that up! :)

ukxmrv, justy, Sasha and 2 others like this.
  8. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

Its still hard though but you can hear what he is saying more clearly - they may still be working on it.

Bob and Sasha like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I have been playing around with the audio, using a bit of compression, denoising, and a lot of EQ, and it is a tricky one to clean up. There are several factors in the problems which seriously limit what can be done with it. (At least what I can do with it.)

See what I can do in the next day or so. Whatever I can do it will sound a bit odd. :alien: :wide-eyed:o_O;)

Even if it can't be made easy to listen to, it should be able to be cleaned up enough to make it easier to transcribe.

I take it this is the only recording we have? Don't want to do a bunch of work on this if a better recording exists.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Battery Muncher, Simon and ukxmrv like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    No idea what you're talking about, @Sean, but thanks for all your efforts! :)

Scarecrow and Sean like this.
  11. Action for M.E.

Action for M.E.

Bristol
    We've run a short clip from our film of the Prof Lipkin presentation through a piece of software that cleans up audio - it's still not perfect but we'd appreciate your feedback on whether it's any better. If so we'll use it on the whole film. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

12. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Ritto likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.