• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig respond to the Chilli ME Challenge on July 1st

Bob

Simon

This is a cracking article:
Why were two of the world's most eminent scientific researchers sitting down to munch their way through a plate of chili peppers, flavored with Tabasco sauce, setting their mouths on fire?...

...because the government, though the National Institutes of Health, has failed the researchers and those who suffer from this debilitating disease. Out of its $30 billion-plus budget, NIH spends a paltry, insulting $5 million, on ME, which affects 1 million people in the United States. In my view, that's a national disgrace...

Well worth a read: Virus Hunters Turn to Social Media -- and Chili Peppers | Llewellyn King

Llewlyn King did a sterling job with the Chilli Challenge himself, and clearly he wants others to share his pain!
Maybe it'll take generations, but there can be progress if there is research. But research is expensive. So I hope to see you suffering on Facebook or YouTube as you ingest a chili pepper too far.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

redaxe

We haven't had an update yet, except we do know that they received a $500,000 donation (i still can't quite believe it), so the pain certainly wasn't in vain. :)

Wow that is good news - Reassuring to know there are plenty of people out there with big hearts

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I'd post this one, so people can see the video - and it has a donate button on the same page:

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/chiliME
I just realized that one needs a Facebook account to comment on the HuffPo article. I was fooled by the icons at the top of the article that a google or twitter account would be enough to comment.

At any rate, I can't post a comment. Sorry!

Edit - Tried creating a new HuffPost account linked to my twitter account. But it still wanted me to log in to a Facebook account when I tried to post a comment. Oh well.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just realized that one needs a Facebook account to comment on the HuffPo article. I was fooled by the icons at the top of the article that a google or twitter account would be enough to comment.

At any rate, I can't post a comment. Sorry!

Edit - Tried creating a new HuffPost account linked to my twitter account. But it still wanted me to log in to a Facebook account when I tried to post a comment. Oh well.

Yes, FB, argh...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Since Llewellyn King mentions Vanessa Li (though not by name) I sent the link to her brother. He will no doubt comment.

Battery Muncher

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Any way to find out if the people Dr.'s Lipkin and Hornig nominated took the challenge?