Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IACFS-ME Patient Conference on October 27, 2016

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by Tom Kindlon, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

[Announcement about the IACFS/ME conference in October. Note the discounted rate if you register on or before September 26. Tom]

-----

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Ben Howell and JohnCB like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Are they casting a wider net? This is how one begins an ME/CFS conference promo?

Nielk, medfeb, JohnCB and 1 other person like this.
  3. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

Bumping this to remind everyone that the discounted rate for the IACFS/ME conference ends on September 26. If you are planning on going, you can save money by registering now. The cutoff for the discounted hotel rate is September 25.

The conference agenda is here

Nova is holding a pre conference event. Information is here. It looks like registration for that opens on October 1.

I understand your point, Duncan, especially given the history of dismissal and redefinition as unexplained chronic fatigue. If I understand correctly, the flyer is also being used to try to reach a broader audience than the ME community - e.g. patients - and their doctors - who may not yet know what's wrong. Because of the dismal state of awareness of ME, that audience understands little about the disease or symptoms like PEM, just the symptom of fatigue.

Edit: it looks like the hotel's deadline for discount registration might have changed to the 30th

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  4. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    Also, let's not kid ourselves. ME/CFS doesn't have a clear cause. Dismissing the psychiatric interpretation does nothing to change that. Nor does insisting on viral onset as a diagnostic criterion. To suggest otherwise is wishful thinking.

5. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand what you are responding to, Glycol. I did not insist on a viral onset as a diagnostic criterion and did not say that the cause of ME is settled. Did it come across like I was saying that?

joeblow604 and JohnCB like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

mango and MEMum like this.
  7. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    It's almost certainly too late for me to be mentioning this, but just in case...if anyone is attending the conference (or would like to attend) who would like to do some tweeting for Phoenix Rising, or write an article (about anything really, whether it be some or all of the science, or the experience of attending the conference, or whatever) then Phoenix Rising would be able to pay for some or all of your expenses, and there's also the option of paying you for one or more articles, depending on what you might like to do in terms of tweeting or articles. If you're interested, please start a Conversation with me.

Valentijn and mango like this.

See more popular forum discussions.