• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I went for a walk yesterday and crashed

wciarci

Wenderella
Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while because of family issues. I was feeling pretty good and went for a long (40 minute) walk on the bike path. I felt great except that I couldn't sleep and felt like I was speeding all night. I am better today but am going to bed early and hope this passes. Is this what they mean by post exercise malaise?

Wendy:confused:

C

Cloud

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while because of family issues. I was feeling pretty good and went for a long (40 minute) walk on the bike path. I felt great except that I couldn't sleep and felt like I was speeding all night. I am better today but am going to bed early and hope this passes. Is this what they mean by post exercise malaise?

Wendy:confused:

Not at all what I experience as PEM (Post Exertional malaise). Nor is it anything like what's described by others with this disease. Post Exertional Relapses can have a delayed onset for several hours after the stressor, which would be physical exertion in your case. The symptoms are basically an exacerbation of ones usual symptoms. For me that means many things, but I basically will feel that I have been poisoned. My cognitive dysfunctions worsens with the brain fog, focus, memory difficulty, visual changes, sleep problems, and increased tinnitus. The OI (Orthostatic Intolerance) increases. My GI system stops working. Exhaustion is an extreme understatement.....I feel as though my body weighs 1000 lbs and can only move as if in a dream (nightmare).
PEM is by far my worst symptom. Sometimes I will get speedy right after a stressor....but the crash isn't far off. Insomnia can be one of the symptoms in PEM, but if you just stayed "wired" without a crash.....that's not PEM.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Wendy,
That "Wired" feeling you're getting is what happens to me if I overdo it when I am feeling quite high or stressed. Once the stressed period passes, all the PEM that Cloud described hits me in one huge wallop, in other words, a major long-term crash.
So, if you work like me, I think the best thing could be to have some early nights and maybe try to combine rest with some type of relaxation thing - breathing, meditating, whatever works for you. I would also cut out all caffeine and avoid carbs near bedtime, to try to help you sleep properly.
Take really good care of yourself. Sending love,
Athene
x

Wonko

No - it sounds like a normal reaction to an exercise level your body isnt used to - basically it rehearses it all night - possibly more than 1 if it found the experience particularly stressful

whilst it's normal it's not all that common so it is perfectly possible you havent experienced it before - preME I think I only had it a few times all involving unusual (at the time) acitivities or long duration activities

wciarci

Wenderella
Thank you Cloud, Athene and Wonko, I have never experienced this before. I am rather stressed, my Mom just passed away and I thought a walk on a nice even path would do me good. Two days out and I am still wired. I guess a crash is coming. Perhaps my adrenals are overloaded. I really feel like I am on speed or something. I am pretty high functioning after antibiotics and antivirals and methylation support. This is just so strange.

Cloud, not at all what you described but I have felt that in the past.

Athene, I think you nailed it as you know what stress I have been under lately. I hope I don't crash but I think it is coming.

Wonko, no, I haven't experienced this before and it is rather frightening, esp, since it seems to be ongoing. Perhaps I over did things, but the fall days have been so nice.

Thanks again for your replies. I will try to keep things low, avoid carbs and try to sleep, which hasn't been easy in a few weeks now.

Wendy

Victoria

Emotional Stress (particularly grief) can be just as bad as physical stress.

Take it easy, Wendy.

Emotional stress keeps thoughts whirling around & around and over & over in our minds. Calming herbal teas & some relaxing baths with essential oils might be helpful at this time.

C

Cloud

Hi Wendy,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I know all to well what that's like and I agree with Victoria about grief aggravating our disease. So, be kind to you in whatever ways that you do that.

I don't know why your feeling speedy....but I have learned that during those high energy periods to be very careful because that's when I always push it to far. Sounds like your doing things to minimize the chances of a crash.

Hugsss

wciarci

Wenderella
Hi Vicki and Cloud, yes stress does do strange things. I think my adrenals are overworked and I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks. I plan on pampering my self this week, might even call in sick to work. Probably not, I can hear my Mom over my shoulder about being a slacker! She was always so driven. I really, really, really, appreciate your replies. Old Yankee that I am, I have a hard time reaching out to others. Stiff upper lip, keep on. You know the drill. I would really like to be able to collapse, stay in bed, eat chocolates and pet my dogs. Another day Scarlet.

XXWendy

Athene

ihateticks.me
Wendy I really do think you should take a few days off work. You are so strong and you are too tough on yourself, I think! A lot of people would take time off after a bereavement, even if they didn't have a chronic illness to deal with as well.
Sometimes I think we are the silly ones, to keep going till we fall flat. Smart people know when they need a pause and they take it in time, rather than too late.
Quality time with your dogs and a box of chocolates is what Dr. Athene prescribes!

lancelot

What we have is Delayed Post Exertional Malaise(DPEM) with this dam disease. Get yourself a pedometer so you know your limits. At best, i can walk up to 20minutes or 2000 steps (measured on a pedometer) on a good day which is about 1-2days of the week max. if i go past 20/2000 even if i can without feeling worse, i will crash when i wake up the next day or DPEM.