• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I want to become a doctor and help ME patients

Ambrosia_angel

I want to study medicine and help ME patients. Pipe dream or amazing idea? I have 1 year and a half before I apply to university. Need to get tons of work experience, volunteering and the best grades possible.

I'm at a disadvantage because I had ME (so far my symptoms have completely improved) and I missed schooling. Also my family and you could say I'm from a lower socioeconomic background but I don't want that to stop me. :redface::redface: wish me luck.

Hopefully by the time I get there ME will be cured!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Good luck! There are a couple of forum members who have made it to med school with the same dedication--to help ME patients. It can be done! You might have to watch carefully for the re-emergence of symptoms as you move along this route--a demanding but rewarding path.

Sushi

I want to study medicine and help ME patients. Pipe dream or amazing idea? I have 1 year and a half before I apply to university. Need to get tons of work experience, volunteering and the best grades possible.

I'm at a disadvantage because I had ME (so far my symptoms have completely improved) and I missed schooling. Also my family and you could say I'm from a lower socioeconomic background but I don't want that to stop me. :redface::redface: wish me luck.

Hopefully by the time I get there ME will be cured!

I thought I'd weigh in on this, as a current physician. GO FOR IT!! It is a long, grueling and expensive (at least here in US) process, but we desperately need more compassionate people taking the oath. You, having ME, put you and your future patients at an advantage, not a disadvantage, as you have been ill.. You know what its like on the other side of the exam table. There is no replacement for personal experience. I wish you the best!

Apple

I just had to log in and reply to you! We share the same dream :D (I actually recognise your username from another forum haha).

Although i'm still pretty badly affected, so very much still a pipe dream for me. I think it's an amazing idea for you. I think anyone who has been through what we have been through would make a pretty amazing and understanding doctor, especially towards diseases that are hard to diagnose and treat like ours. The medical profession needs more people like that.

I'm so happy for you that you've recovered to the extent that you are well enough to do this. I hope good health continues for you and you reach your dream! Please keep us updated :)

P.S - May I ask what helped your health improve?

Last edited:

Ambrosia_angel

I just had to log in and reply to you! We share the same dream :D (I actually recognise your username from another forum haha).

Although i'm still pretty badly affected, so very much still a pipe dream for me. I think it's an amazing idea for you. I think anyone who has been through what we have been through would make a pretty amazing and understanding doctor, especially towards diseases that are hard to diagnose and treat like ours. The medical profession needs more people like that.

I'm so happy for you that you've recovered to the extent that you are well enough to do this. I hope good health continues for you and you reach your dream! Please keep us updated :)

P.S - May I ask what helped your health improve?

I actually did methylation and changed my diet. The methylation kick started my immune system as my constant infections improved and my diet change with green juicing helped. Then once I felt better I started to increase activity. I guess I was at an advantage in the sense that I'm younger and was maybe bound to get better anyway? I'm not quite sure but the methylation plus other supplements definitely helped stop the constant infections and improve the fatigue.

I think I know which forum you are talking about hah :). I will PM you.

Ambrosia_angel

@Ambrosia_angel - So glad you are better! :D Yay!

Was the issue due to MTHFR or MTR or similar?
I'm not quite sure. I didnt do a test to check. Magnesium also help me immensely. Muscle weakness was my main issue and i had it very badly. I will post a list of all the supplements I was taking. It was a simplified methylation program.

Would anybody in the UK consider taking my supplements? I know it could be a risk but I have lots left over and they are just collecting dust. A lot a probably still in date. I bought them from iherb and Amazon.