Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

" I Thought It Was a Typo…" Dr. Zaher Nahle on funding for ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kyla, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada

http://solvecfs.org/i-thought-it-was-a-typo

Joh, OneWaySurvival, ahimsa and 50 others like this.
  2. SOC

SOC

I think I'm falling in love. :love:
    ;)

ahimsa, mango, rosie26 and 7 others like this.
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    :angel::star::star::star::heart::heart::heart::heart::woot::)

and i've just signed up to their mailing list. :)

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Kafkaesque: used to describe a situation that is confusing and frightening, especially one involving complicated official rules and systems that do not seem to make any sense.

mango, Valentijn, JaimeS and 5 others like this.
  5. Nielk

Nielk

Sometimes a newcomer's view of what we have been dealing with for decades is the most accurate. He has no preconceived or biased views. He is just looking at the stark raw reality.

Thank you, Zaher Nahle.

6. perrier

perrier Senior Member

Perhaps, and this may be the optimist view, the name of this illness is at fault too. Say multiple sclerosis and concern and sympathy result; say CFS and folks ask: are you always tired? Gee, I am tired too! In the meantime young lives are totally destroyed.

JaimeS, sarah darwins and Effi like this.
  7. shannah

shannah Senior Member

WOW! I feel compelled to donate!

catly, rosie26, sarah darwins and 3 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

We should get this on a t-shirt, surely...

ahimsa, PennyIA, leokitten and 13 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    It's possible to post a comment on the Solve page where that piece appears - he's getting some nice comments (not surprisingly, for such a good article).

He's on the PR forums, by the way, from time to time.

catly, SpecialK82, JaimeS and 2 others like this.
  10. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    I support them whenever I use Amazon, by using smile.amazon. It's the same as Amazon, a portion of your purchase goes to a charity of your choice - you can choose Phoenix Rising, OMI, Simmaron (Dr. Peterson). A lot of great ones. You can sign up at smile.amazon.com,, then bookmark it and use it to order your stuff. Simple.

IGive is the other one folks have talked about around here, and I use them as well when I order on line to donate to CFS charities, including this one.

JAH

leokitten, catly, SOC and 4 others like this.
  11. waiting

waiting Senior Member

JaimeS likes this.
  12. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Malevolence. Not even Uncle Sam can be so consistently incompetent for thirty years. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Yet NIH and CDC are wrong, every day, every year, for decades.

John Mac, ukxmrv, Aurator and 4 others like this.
  13. Nielk

Nielk

If the incompetence would be widespread all across the health agencies and evenly distributed regardless which disease one is looking at, then it could be called incompetence.

But, when the incompetence is targeted consistently toward a specific disease year after year....for three decades, it cannot be solely attributed to incompetence.

John Mac, catly, GalaxiiGrl and 8 others like this.
  14. WillowTree

WillowTree ME/CFS is NOT fatigue!

Illinois
    Agreed 100 percent! One has to wonder what is being protected that for 30 years patients with ME had to be disbelieved and discredited, with an attempt made to define ME out of existence. WHY? What are they afraid will be discovered if ME were properly researched? I just wonder.

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    See: http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com.au/

Hutan and ahmo like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Let me point out that malevolence can thrive is a broadly incompetent system. It doesn't take a lot of malevolence to create havoc when the systems are not in place to prevent it, and even amplify it.

catly, Gingergrrl, jimells and 3 others like this.
  17. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    This guy is amazing. Thanks for sharing @alex3619

[Edit: Seriously, everyone should read THIS ONE, right this very moment.]

-J

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    catly, Scarecrow, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Yes! Read it. The claw.. :thumbsup::rofl:

catly and JaimeS like this.
  19. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

Leaving aside the possibility of conspiracies, probably the prevailing view in the decision makers' inner sanctum (or sancta) is that it has been properly researched already in a sense: the absence of consistent findings from test results of PWME over the years persuades them it is almost certainly psychosomatic. So why would they want to throw money away researching the hypochondria of a load of whingeing so-and-so's?

20. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    By "conspiracies", I assume you mean a deliberate policy of classifying the illness as "psychosomatic". There is little reason to doubt the existence of this policy when one can read about it in the UK Parliament's 2006 Gibson Inquiry

The UK psychobabblers have long pedaled their rubbish in the US as well. Simon Wessely's involvement goes back at least to a 1991 NIAID & NIMH conference. Wessely and Sharpe were both part of the Fukuda 1994 criteria group. The "State of Science Consultation" by NIAID (Feb 2000) originally featured just Straus, Wesseley, Sharpe, and a pharma industry shrink until advocates made such a stink that Straus was forced to include a few real experts.

The disability insurers benefit from "CFS is mental illness". Insurer hatchet men advised DWP, NIH, and CDC that we have a mental illness. Those agencies adopted that policy. That policy is still in effect. These are facts, not theory or speculation.

Chrisb, mango, Raines and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.