1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

I think Earthing cured my dysautonomia/POTS

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by ask2266, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

ask2266
    Regarding the electric concepts related to earthing: It can unfortunately be difficult to grasp these concepts if you do not have some background training in electric theory.

Much of the literature you find about the benefits earthing does not help either, as this literature tends to present earthing as connecting to some kind of mystical force of the Earth, or tends to ascribe some fabulous health properties to electrons, as if electrons were some magical health supplement.

It also does not help that researchers that have looked into earthing have no theories as to why earthing seems to have health benefits and induce physiological changes (which is why I felt the need to come up with my own hypothesis on the mechanism behind earthing).

Just to help people understand the electrical concepts, the following analogy may help. This analogy helps explain the difference and relationship between: electric charge (measured in Coulombs), electric current (measured in Amps, or milliamps), and electric potential (measured in Volts).

You can think of the electric charge in a system as analogous to the water in a vessel. If we wanted to increase the amount of water in the vessel, we might get a hose pipe, and use this to add some water to the vessel. When we do this, the amount of water pouring into our vessel per second from the hose pipe analogous to the electric current flowing in an electrical wire or cable. The higher the electric current, the more electric charge flows along the wire per second. The thing that drives the water through the hose is the water pressure at the tap. Water pressure is analogous to the electrical potential (voltage). Just as a higher water pressure will drive more water current along the pipe, a higher electrical potential will drive a higher electric current along a wire (which translates to more charge being pushed along an metal wire per second).

An electric current in a metal wire consists of the movement electrons (which are negatively charged); in metals, there is an abundance of electrons that are free to move around (ie, the electrons are not stuck to specific atoms, as they are in non-conductors), and so a soon as you apply a voltage (an electrical pressure) to the wire, this pushes the electrons along the wire, which forms a current.

However, inside the human body (which consists of around 42 liters of water containing dissolved salts) an electric current will largely consist of the movement of salt ions within water, rather than electrons. Salt ions come in both negative and positive electrical charges. For example, common salt (sodium chloride), whose chemical formula is NaCl, will, when dissolved in water, form the ions Na+ and Cl- which are positively and negatively charged respectively. It is the movements of these electrically charged ions that form the basis of much the electric current through the salty water (like the blood) within the human body. (An electric current does not care what type of electrical charges are involved; electrons or ions in water will work just as well to form an electric current, as they both carry an electric charge. As long as those electrons or ions in water are free to move, then an electric current can be set up, as an electric current is simply the movement of electric charge.)

So inside the body, I think an electric current will primarily comprise the movement of positively and negatively charged salt ions, rather than electrons. Much of the electrical activity of human cells themselves revolves around the movement of salt ions in the cell: these cells actual pump salt ions (like sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium ions) in and out of the cell, in order to generate an electric potential across the cell membrane. When an electric signal runs along you nerve fibers, it does so by movements in ions across the cell membranes.

So if my hypothesis on earthing is correct, then the mains hum alternating electric currents in the body that I posit form the basis of earthing will likely largely consist of the movement of salt ions in the body, rather than electrons.

In the mitochondria withins cells, though, this electric current from earthing will I think be carried by electrons, and protons too, as mitochondria operate with electrons and protons.

In terms of the effects of a tiny electric current on mitochondria, this is an interesting study:

The effects of electric currents on ATP generation, protein synthesis, and membrane transport of rat skin (1982). Full paper here.

This study found that microcurrents from 10 to 500 microamps increased mitochondrial ATP production by 500% in rat skin. ATP of course is the energy output of the mitochondria. This microcurrent also increased amino acid transport into cells by 70%. However, when the study authors increased the current to 1000 microamps (= 1 milliamp), the ATP production was actually reduced. So smaller electric currents work best in terms of increasing the ATP produced by mitochondria.
    dannybex and Asklipia like this.
  2. ask2266

ask2266

Atlanta, GA
    Hip

I just started the book, The Body Electric. It is really good so far. It's by a doctor who studied limb regeneration and electricity in the body. I wish you would read it too, so you could explain it to me!!
    garcia likes this.
  3. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I am not using any earthing apparatus but I would like to offer an observation:
    For the last 104 days I have been doing an exercise everyday to help move lymph out of the head. This exercise is divided in six parts, each one part being timed precisely. For this I have used a timer on an iPad, which is luminous and which I can see in the dark (doing this before sunrise). When the timer rings, this particular part is finished, and I have to put my finger on the iPad to stop the timer ringing, before adjusting it to the duration of the next part.
    After about 70 days of this exercise I found that the Ipad was not responding well, I thought the problem was with the iPad. After about 90 days I was going more and more frustrated with the iPad which was responding less and less (had to put my finger four or five times on the button for it to respond).

I asked my husband to give me his iPad, telling him mine was broken.
    Same problem with his iPad!!!!!
    And he has no problem with my iPad.
    This can only mean that this head clearing exercise has altered me electrically somehow. Since I know nothing about electricity I cannot draw conclusions, but I hope this may be helpful to you.
    If head clearing changes me electrically, I suppose that doing something electrical might very well affect lymph blockage in the head.
    And that it might all be related to the problems we face.
    Good luck to all!
    Asklipia:)
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Asklipia
    Are you perspiring a little when you exercise, or getting sweaty, sticky fingers? I read that perspiration falling on the capitative touch screens used in iPads and iPhones can interfere with their operation. You might try wiping the iPad screen with a kitchen paper towel when it next plays up, in order to dry it, and see if that fixes the problem.
  5. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I do perspire a lot from the head and neck when I do this exercise.
    Not at all from the hands though and the Ipad screen does not get in the least wet.

I must add that for the first 70 days or so, I was getting just as sweaty from the head, and the iPad was functioning normally. This is not the case anymore. This malfunction in the body-Ipad interaction does not last all day long. I have noticed that for the moment it lasts for about two hours (even 5 minutes would be enough I should think for my fingers to dry if they were a bit sweaty in an invisible way).

Tomorrow I shall wipe my hands with tissue paper before touching the screen to see if this has an incidence.
    To be continued...
  6. ask2266

ask2266

Atlanta, GA
    Update:
    I got some bloodwork done after 3 weeks on the sheet. Here are the following notes from that:
    NK Cells went from 21 to 35. (normal is 80 or up)
    Free T-3 went from 1.73 to 2.7 (normal is 2.3-4.0)
    Free T-4 went from .64 to 1.0 (normal is .58-1.64)

I definitely think the sheet was what effected my thyroid because I was dragging so severely in the morning before I started sleeping on the sheet. I definitely felt the change in my thyroid. Perhaps when the sheet regulated my cortisol, this up-regulated my thyroid. At least, I have heard that adrenal fatigue causes the thyroid to be down-regulated.

The natural killer cells, however, may be totally unrelated to the sheet. I have been taking lots of supplements, so the supplements could have caused this.

My blood viral levels for EBV are unchanged, so my monolaurin experiment didn't work. I had been taking monolaurin for 6 months to try to bring my EBV levels down naturally. Guess I will have to go back on anti-virals.
    Sparrowhawk likes this.
  7. ask2266

ask2266

Atlanta, GA
    Hip

I just read in the Body Electric that the electric current in the salamander that induces limb regeneration (and this scientist also later induced limb regeneration in mammals) is very small - measured in nanoamps. A higher current does not work as well. Apparently, the body's cells respond better to these extremely small voltages. These low voltages have been observed as most effective for stimulating bone growth in humans, as well.

Another thing this scientist discusses is that bone is the only thing in humans that will regenerate naturally. Electrical currents enable this. Bone has a PN junction-- collagen is a N-type semi-conductor- and apatite is a P-type semiconductor. When a bone is injured, it develops a current of injury which is positively charged. As the bone heals, this charge turns negative. The stress on the bone is turned into an electric signal by a transducer-- collagen produces a piezoelectric signal. This signal is rectified by the PN junction. The electric current available to bone, plus the types of marrow cells that it has, enables the body to heal itself in an absolutely amazing way. This scientist dreamed of using electric current to enable other parts of the body to regenerate. He died before he had a chance.
  8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    ask2266 great to hear your reports above and the NK cell increase is significant. I think I am at 12 or so if I recall correctly.

Becker is one of my heroes, love that book. Glad you found it of interest.
  9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@ask2266

Very interesting stuff.

I see you are enjoying your book!
  10. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    i thought earthing is from meditation. but its products o_O
    so this earthing means we should surround ourselves more in nature.
    how about people who already live that way.
    anyway isnt walking barefoot is enough? i walk around barefoot except when outside. how about taking a shower, doesnt the water consider earthing?
    i remember reading an article about how we should eat 'earth foods' but my take on it was. the fast food/processed food/commercial food have many bad chemicals in it so its obvious.
    it also reminds me of electrical therapy, when youre on it u cant touch walls, ground or even a person who touches the ground/walls cause ull get electrocuted.
  11. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    Thank you Hip, for your hypothesis and your experiments.
    Two things struck me in your hypoyhesis:

1. you mention the heart in relation to electric potentials but I was thinking body cells, with Na/Ka pump and all that, and a relation to parasympathetic nervous system activity. I see you adress those potential differences later on. Made me cheer.

2. the 50kH you mention happens to be the main focus range for shielding from electro magnetic fields, for people who are sensitive to those. Could this be the range that troubles people most? (again I'm thinking interference with the PNS and/or brain stem)

I have a silver coated cloth that I use for a Faraday's tent. If I put it flat on my bed and earth it it could function as a earthing sheet too. However, EMF shielding theorists warn that such a plane will reflect waves, making them travel through the body twice. Do you have a thought on this?

Grounding/earthing my Faraday's cage won't sync up its inhabitant with the earth's potential, will it?

Hope to hear from you at a time that's convenient for you, no hurries, no worries. In the mean time I'll experiment.

And OP, congratulations on your newfound health! Thank you for posting. Thank you.
  12. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@WoolPipi
    It is not clear to me that earthing/grounding is necessarily a good thing.

I slept great — a really profound, deep sleep — and woke up feeling great on the first one or two nights when sleeping earthed, but then afterwards, on around the third day, I started to sleep worse than normal, having bad dreams and restless sleep (tossing and turning all night long), and this continued on the subsequent nights. I am not sure why this is. I also tried earthing once before, a few years ago, and the same thing happened: I slept great on the first one or two nights, but then slept very badly on all subsequent nights.

In a house where there is mains electricity, earthing yourself will allow the oscillating electromagnetic and magnetic fields from the main power to induce a tiny electric current in your body. As mentioned, with my multimeter I measured an AC current of 0.2 μA running between me and earth when I was earthed. This is why I propose that earthing is in effect a form of microcurrent therapy.

I think that perhaps by sleeping all night (7 to 8 hours) being earthed, you may be performing microcurrent therapy for too long a time. Perhaps people should only earth themselves for short periods of time, like say 30 minutes only.

I am not convinced that electromagnetic hypersensitivity exists, as the evidence for it is very weak, but I would think that anyone who thinks they might be electromagnetically hypersensitive should perhaps avoid earthing themselves, as this may make things worse, because earthing allows electromagnetic fields to induce an electric current in you body.

If you are not earthed, electromagnetic fields in the environment will go through your body, but they will create very little electric current in your body. But if you are earthed, then these same electromagnetic fields will cause an electric current to flow in your body, which may not be a good thing if you have some sensitivity to this.

If you want to make a Faraday cage from silver coated cloth, you need to completely surround your body, otherwise it will not really work. A Faraday cage does not have to be earthed for it to work.
  13. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    thank you.
    Your experience was a repeat of a previous experience and valuable.

Last night I slept for a few hours with a copper wire around my wrist to the radiator (which are grounded in my country). I slept better. But that might just as easily have been the shower I took before bed or placebo effect.
    I did not wear it all night. Perhaps I illustrate your idea microcurrent therapy should not be endured for hours and hours.

I already have a Faraday cage, completely surrounding myself. The first time I experienced profound effects, after that no more.

Tonight I am going to try grounding using a small piece of my silver coated cloth. I don't want to create a pane which reflects the waves.

thanks again, anna
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  14. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    When I bought my Earthing Sheet, the engineer I spoke to suggested easing into using it, possibly over a period of weeks before sleeping on it all night.

This was to minimise a detox reaction as apparently they can be strong.

I further purchased the GROUNDING ROD instead of using the plug into the mains. I favour this method. The engineer had spoken to many customers who did too.
    This is simply protective cable on a rod put straight into the earth instead of mains grid.

The whole theory in essence makes good sense to me and the meter I used showed my body Voltage was reduced from around 6volts to approx 0.08 (or 0.8) ...

Golden
  15. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    I'm waking up every two hours.
    Going to take Golden's advice and ease into it.

(I'm prone to neuro-exitability and usually am in Fight or Flight. This prevents sleep. This is not ME-related, I was born with it.)
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Great continued discussion on this. @ask2266 how is it going? Is earthing still working for you?

My thought on reading what @Hip mentioned above would be perhaps either "ease into it" as was mentioned -- or perhaps only sleep grounded every few nights.

So many variables. But worth mapping out if enough people try it. I admit I've had an approach-avoid with this strategy, but would favor the ground rod method if I tried it.
  17. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    I had 3 nights of tossing and turning as an after effect of the one night earthing I did. I am now back to my regular sleeping pattern of 5 hours sleep, 2 hours awake, 2 hours crappy sleep. I'm thankful for that.

Very weird that this grounding has such after effects, as long as 72 hours afterwards.

Why does this affect sleep particularly? Is it the sleep paralysis system that is affected? Does it cause a surplus of excitatory neuro transmitters preventing sleep? (this is what causes my usual insomnia and it seemed worsened)
    I'll keep pondering.

Won't try earthing any time soon though, I want to catch up on zzzz first
  18. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Where can I buy this earthing sheet for christ sake?
  19. Olena

Olena

Ukraine
    Hi, I tried to take sinusoidal current of low frequency (machine called Amplipuls). I have a good result against inflammation of the joints. After the procedure, I have a strong breakdown, the first time was even depression. But the next day, a lot of power, super mood and any thoughts about the disease (as if tossed obsessive thoughts out of my head).

This low current repeats human biorhythms
  20. redaxe

redaxe

I have also started Earthing myself at night by connecting a spare length of power cord to a steel bar driven into the ground outside my window at the base of a healthy tree and wrapping the other end of the copper wire firmly (but not tightly) around my toe when I sleep. The wire is all insulated except the ends which connect to the Steel 'Earthing Rod' and where it touches my skin.

I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now
    I'll be honest It's very difficult to make conclusions from this especially in a condition like CFS where at least for me relapse/remissions are common and the severity of symptoms don't always follow any particular or predictable pattern.
    That said, anecdotally I will say that it feels like there has been a subtle but noticeable improvement in a range of symptoms.
    For instance I have noticed that my hands and feet are much warmer than they used to be (I've always suffered from cold hands/feet outside of the warm summer months) so it seems like my blood circulation has improved. I would assume if this was the case that blood circulation into all tissues/organs including lungs, brain etc would also improve and blood would be better oxygenated and tissues likewise.
    I would also say that in the 14-15 months that I've had CFS it seems that my energy and cognitive levels are about my best in this time since I've started earthing, but again it could be completely unrelated & attributed to all the glutathione/Vitamin B/C IV treatments I've recently started....
    Sparrowhawk and Wayne like this.

See more popular forum discussions.