• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I need your first month/season/year of illness for research please?

TreePerson

Would you please just tell me what year you got sick and what season of the year it was or as close as you can get. I'm doing some research to show to a couple of ID and research docs. Thanks all!

Spring 1993 UK
(Have read through the other posts - the virus was Feb 1993 UK same as @hellytheelephant but took a few weeks to set in so I think of it as early Spring).

Last edited:

rosie26

My ME was staged, so I had 2 significant onsets. Although I only recognized my mild onset upon looking back from my severe onset and realizing that I had been experiencing ME to a lesser degree in those years. My severe onset was a more horrific amplified version with even more added symptoms than my mild onset. But I could see the progression upon looking back from severe.

Southern Hemisphere.
Mild onset 1995, May (last month of autumn and getting chilly weather). Unusual flu with extreme dizziness which I had never experienced before in my life. Very sore throat.

Southern Hemisphere.
Severe onset, bone aching flu, 2001, September (first month of spring) interestingly though, my sleep had packed up in May of 2001 same month as my above mild onset. I was waking at 3-4am every morning 'wired and tired' feeling absolutely awful - something very wrong. It was a very quick and horrible downward spiral to severe ME from there.

I do think my ME was caused by an infection at 20 years old and combined with flu years later caused ME symptoms to appear and progress. So a long staged illness.

Jennifer J

Jan. 27, 2001 winter in Northern California

Edit: Jan 2001, after leaving a house with 7 indoor rescue cats, angioedema swelling started that has never stopped. Horrible side effects from medication for 9 months after that, basically ODing on it. Haven't been the same since. Do think I've had a mild ME or CFS all my life, since childhood.

Last edited:

rosie26

It would be so much easier if we all just had one obvious onset, wouldn't it lol I see a few can just say a month and year, but so many like me are like "well it was kind of this initially, and then later on...". ME just loves to complicate things :rolleyes:
Do some of us need more 'hits' to knock us down? I was a very healthy person before I got an infection when I was 20. Perhaps some of the 'sudden onset' ME's had big hits close together. Although it seems there is a wide range of entrances into this illness but we somehow end up on ME pathway.

Murph

:)
May 2002; Autumn where I am.

I'm often much better in summer much worse in winter. I remember I had to give up a modest exercise regime last May after it suddenly seemed to be really damaging me. I'm actually planning to go somewhere sunny for a few weeks in May this year and see if I notice any difference!

rosie26

May 2002; Autumn where I am.

I'm often much better in summer much worse in winter. I remember I had to give up a modest exercise regime last May after it suddenly seemed to be really damaging me. I'm actually planning to go somewhere sunny for a few weeks in May this year and see if I notice any difference!
Sounds like the warmer temperatures will be good for you. I often wish my country were situated a bit higher in latitude so that the far north were more tropical where I could have escaped our winters. Our winters are not that cold compared to other countries but my ME is worsened as soon as the weather goes 13C (55F) and below.

Enjoy your lovely time in the warmer weather. Hope you are near a beach and can have a gentle swim (if that is possible wave-wise) in the sea. Get some seawater up your nose and swallow if you can.

Chezboo

NOT MY BOARD
No month or year, a very gradual steady decline. I figure I've had EDS, POTS and MCAS since the year dot. Hard to know when those became ME or if I've always had mild ME but one day about 4 years ago I eventually realised (self diagnosed) the severe end of moderate ME according to ICC and CCC (I lived in the UK, the NHS Drs just gave me the blank stare, had to figure it all out for myself!)

Edit: I just wanted to add that I've included my onset details as people with gradual onset make up a significant percentage. I just hope that any study looking at onset takes this into consideration or at least mentions this subset at the beginning if not the focus of the study.

Last edited: