• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I need help interpreting methylation chart

Gene & Variation
rsID
Alleles
Result
COMT V158M
rs4680
AA
+/+
COMT H62H
rs4633
TT
+/+
COMT P199P
rs769224
GG
-/-
VDR Bsm
rs1544410
TT
+/+
VDR Taq
rs731236
GG
-/-
VDR Fok-I
not found
n/a
n/a
MAO A R297R
rs6323
TT
+/+
ACAT1-02
rs3741049
GG
-/-
MTHFR C677T
rs1801133
AG
+/-
MTHFR 03 P39P
rs2066470
GG
-/-
MTHFR A1298C
rs1801131
TT
-/-
MTR A2756G
rs1805087
AA
-/-
MTRR A66G
rs1801394
AG
+/-
MTRR H595Y
rs10380
CT
+/-
MTRR K350A
rs162036
AG
+/-
MTRR R415T
rs2287780
CC
-/-
MTRR S257T
not found
n/a
n/a
MTRR A664A
rs1802059
AG
+/-
BHMT-01
not found
n/a
n/a
BHMT-02
rs567754
CT
+/-
BHMT-04
rs617219
AC
+/-
BHMT-08
rs651852
CT
+/-
AHCY-01
rs819147
CT
+/-
AHCY-02
rs819134
AG
+/-
AHCY-19
rs819171
CT
+/-
CBS C699T
rs234706
AA
+/+
CBS A360A
rs1801181
GG
-/-
CBS N212N
rs2298758
GG
-/-
SUOX S370S
not found
n/a
n/a
NOS3 D298E
not found
n/a
n/a
SHMT1 C1420T
rs1979277
GG
-/-

sorry I didn't think it would copy like that. Can anyone give me some tips on how to interpret this. I have been sick with lyme for two years and mostly unresponsive to treatment. I was hoping understanding methylation could help me get better. Has anyone felt better from supplementing to fix their methylation issues?

All i know now is that cbs c699t is not good and I should aviod sulphur, reduce ammonia, and avoid animal protein, (the last one will prove quite difficult.) I have done some research on heartfixer site but I am not sure if the cbs defect is all i should worry about. i haven't figured out how my other results should tie into the cbs defect. One of my mthfr is +/- so I am not sure if that warrants doing the methylation protocol? I could use some info to point me in the right direction.

Will someone who has more experience with this than kyluv4me please comment on her results? (We understand you are not medical experts but have more knowledge than a newbie to this stuff).

I have re-written them to make it easier to read:

++: COMT 158, 62; VDR bsm; MAO A 297; CBS 699;
+/-: MTHFR 677; MTRR 66, 595,350, 664, BHMT 02, 04, 08; ACHY 01,02,19;
-/- VDR TaqTAQ

Any comments, I am sure, would be greatly appreciated,
Karen

kday

First, do not take any of this as medical advice.

However, even though SNPs do not determine how your genes are expressed, there are some clues to what might be going on, and even though I can't see your gene expression, you do look like someone who can see improvement by using a methodical approach.

Your CBS mutation can lead to excess levels of ammonia, so addressing the gut (as well as limiting foods and supplements high in sulfur) is probably the first thing you should do before taking any methylation supplements as you may be a lot less likely to get anywhere.

As far as doing things like assessing gut flora (and even anti-gliadin antibodies), I really think there is no better test than the GI Effects Gastrointestinal Function Profile from Genova Diagnostics. Unlike every other other stool test, this test is extremely sensitive, and can assess and give you ranges of your good bacteria, bad bacteria, yeast/fungi as well as parasites (even ones with unknown taxonomy). This way, you can address bacteria infections and/or overgrowth, yeast/fungi, and parasites without a whole lot of guesswork. Unfortunately, what you do need, is a doctor that knows the proper way to address these microbes, fungi, and parasites - and these may be rare.

http://www.gdx.net/core/sample-reports/GI-Effects-GI-Function-SR.pdf

There is a lot to addressing the gut, and it seems that every doctor has their own approach. Dr. Yasko actually recommends using a Organic Acids Test (OAT) through Great Plains Laboratory, a Metabolic Analysis Profile (MPA), and Comprehensive Stool Analysis (CSA) through Doctor's data, along with the test I mentioned above (amongst others).

While this is extremely comprehensive, by the time you do all this testing you are set back at least a couple thousand dollars. I know I can't afford it and have not done all of these tests.

It might be best to find a really good M.D. that knows a lot about the gut or good N.D. that graduated an accredited ND school (such as Bastyr, NCNM, SCNM). Each practicioner will have their own approach.

What might be most important after addressing your gut is keeping your taurine below the 50th percentile with Urinary Amino Acids (UAA) test when starting on methylation supplements.

Looking at your results, you might have trouble tolerating methyl donors. In other words, you might have trouble tolerating supplements such as methyl B12 and folate. Considering your VDR Taq is -/-, Yasko says that there will be better tolerance for methyl donors - but I'm not sure how "better" the tolerance will be.

What sticks out to me is that your MAO-A +/+ polymorphisms and COMT +/+ polymorphisms. While an MAO-A mutation and some other mutations are quite common among the normal population, it seems that more often or not, Breakdown of neurotransmitters and catecholamines becomes quite impaired following illness, and you get stuck in a permanent state of fight/flight or may have things like panic attacks or rage attacks. MAO-A and COMT are what break down these chemicals. COMT V158M is associated with higher levels of dopamine, but VDR Taq +/+ supposedly negates this to some degree if I understand right . If you think your homozygous MAO-A mutation is causing problems symptoms associated with decreased MAO-A activity, I really don't know many great ways to address it other than relaxation techniques and things that reduce stress. Carefully addressing microbes and the gut in a way that doesn't stress your body too much may also help take the strain off of these enzymes in my experience. For myself, I find high doses of multi-strain probiotics that contain the strain Lactobacillus GG (aka Lactobacillus rhamnosus) helps calm my body as well. I have a (+/+) MAO-A as well with symptoms of dysfunction MAO-A and/or COMT enzymes.

A lot of the treatment information is based on Dr. Yasko's clinical experience rather than peer-reviewed science. I personally do not like how Yasko speaks in absolutes since gene expression is far more important than what SNPs you test homozygous or heterozygous for. And this is looking at a small number of gene SNPs, when there are many, many more that contribute to your condition.

As far as supplements - after addressing your gut and CBS, you may want hydroxy B12 instead of methyl B12. Of course, since I don't believe in absolutes, you can start with a crumb of methyl B12 too and titrate up to see if you tolerate it. You may have to start low and slow with folate as well. With CBS you may need limited intake of B6 (as P5P) as well.

As far as the other B-Vitamins, I don't really like most B-Complexes. Most are formulated bad. There are some decent active B-Complexes with Folate as L-methylfolate (Metafolin®) or Quatrefolic®. But these usually contain P5P or B6, so it is of my opinion that it would be smart to assess how you feel on each of these vitamins before grabbing a complex.

To address excess ammonia, there are various supplements that can help with that is in Yasko's book. Yucca root is one of them. While I don't have CBS, I find L-Ornithine to be quite beneficial at times. But this could be because my liver has struggled a bit over the years.

You can google "Autism: Pathways to Recovery" for Yasko's e-book.

I hope this helps a bit, and hope I didn't overwhelm you.

Thank you so much for your responses kgg and thanks for the info. kday! I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get a response.

Methylation and genetics are something I am going to try to do more research on. Ammonia is definitely something I will work on because lyme disease also promotes ammonia build up. I didn't realize what a puzzle I was in for when I ordered the 23&me test. This is very complicated and not black and white, unfortunately. I was hoping I could just do a simplified methylation protocol but I now realize it is not that simple.

kday

Honestly, I think we all have problems with out gut - whether you feel gut symptoms or not. And I am not a believer in absolutes. Who knows - your taurine levels could be fine, and CBS may not be a problem.

So, it is of my opinion, that trying a simplified methylation protocol before taking the first steps wouldn't hurt as long as you be careful and listen to your body. Emphasis on listen to your body.