• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!"

sarah darwins

A heater would resolve the issue, but the only efficient ways to heat require a few key things in order to operate safely: enough room, some way of being secured inside the van (an empty conversion van does not have this) and a carbon monoxide detector.

I was reading up on this recently and they make these "room sealed" heater units which solve the carbon monoxide problem. The hot air part of the unit is separate from the actual heating circuit, if that makes sense.

Like this: http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/campervan-heaters

moblet

Unknown Quantity
I'm kind of originally from the PNW so I LOVE the rain.
Presuming you can solve the condensation problem (which I rarely had in my tent because I could keep it well-ventilated during rain) and can cook and do everything else inside your vehicle, the other possible issue is being trapped in a tiny living space for days on end.

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
@Jennifer J not sure if someone has already posted this, but there are tons and tons of groovy, interesting communities of every flavor, shape, and size.

If you want cheap, stay away from "co-housing".

If you want not a lot of work hours, stay away from "income sharing"

other than that, yes, a lot is out there.

Many communities say on their website that you need to buy land or buy a house... but that is not what it is like if you actually contact them or go there.

Any established community in a rural isolated area that has a bunch of houses already built.... they will likely have some rooms or houses sitting around empty.

There is almost always some room or little cabin or house available dirt cheap. It's unofficial. You just have to ask.

A lot are very beautiful settings with cool interesting people.

Again, don't look at the co-housing, which are more middle class, often suburban type deals. totally different. Don't get sucked in by the fancy places with the nice websites. Look for the humble overlooked quiet ones, that's where things are more likely to be cheap and low key.

Also, look at "established" groups, not "newly forming". Newly forming means you need money or hard work.

http://www.ic.org/directory/intentional-communities-by-country/

Last edited:

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
If you've ever done internet dating, think like that....

don't get attached to what you read on paper

don't contact just one place

cast a wide net and keep and open mind

boohealth

yeah man, working on the building aspect too. it'll probably be easier to get help with the construction part. Maybe I can find a tool rental place...
In the beginning I'm thinking maybe just buy a conversion van where the back seats fold down into a bed and throw a camp mat down on it... at least until I can situate finances and labor to actually strip it down and build a bed frame. I'll also probably start very minimally and gradually start building in a table and cabinets depending on how much I'm enjoying vanlifing.

as for the weather, I'm kind of originally from the PNW so I LOVE the rain. I'll probably just work on insulating my van well and learn how to deal with the elements ^^ if it sucks, I can always move ;)

I think you should do this and get two tents--a one person tent, and a nice bigger tent. That allows you to get out of the van sometimes into fresh air. If you have no money you can boondock on BLM lands where appropriate, if you can afford campgrounds you have many to choose from, some very beautiful. Some campgrounds have monthly rates--during their low seasons, that are half off. Low seasons vary by climate and area, of course.

sarah darwins

Now this is interesting. Article in today's Guardian on the community of Snowflake, Arizona, a place entirely for people with environmental illness.

A lot of things caused Susie pain: scented products, pesticides, plastic, synthetic fabrics, smoke, electronic radiation – the list went on. Back in “the regular world”, car exhaust made her feel sick for days. Perfume gave her seizures.

Then she uprooted to Snowflake, Arizona.

“I got out of the car and didn’t need my oxygen tank,” she said, grinning at me in the rearview mirror. “I could walk.”

There are about 20 households where she now lives. Like Susie, most of the residents in Snowflake have what they call “environmental illness”, a controversial diagnosis that attributes otherwise unexplained symptoms to pollution.

link to full article (with some videos):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/11/snowflake-arizona-environmental-illness

Valentijn

Too pricey at the moment but maybe less expensive ones will become available--egg shaped, off the grid, tiny portable home:
$90,000 isn't too bad, especially if the solar panels and wind turbine really produce enough power.