• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I know i ask alot of questions but i think these polls are fun! FOR CFS ONLY PEOPLE

Be Honest If granted the opportunity, would you trade CFS for...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wonko

all of the above - they are all treatable to one degree or another - and most people with these conditions have signifcantly higher quality of life most of the time than I currently enjoy with ME

SaveMe

all of the above - they are all treatable to one degree or another - and most people with these conditions have signifcantly higher quality of life most of the time than I currently enjoy with ME

damn, you killed the surprise. I read a study that CFS is more disabling than all of the conditions i've listed above (in terms of physical functioning)
)

It may depend on how ill you are.

I just LOLed at Pancreatic cancer because it's one of those when if you find out you have it you know you're dead in weeks.

Then I kind of just turned my nose up at diabetes. Strange poll...

SaveMe

It may depend on how ill you are.

I just LOLed at Pancreatic cancer because it's one of those when if you find out you have it you know you're dead in weeks.

Then I kind of just turned my nose up at diabetes. Strange poll...

Yeah, you chose the same one as me. Although diabetes can turn into heart disease, I would still take the chance.

I wanted to see how many people would choose #3. darn.

SaveMe

What a question! Not pancreatic cancer, MS or heart disease. Diabetes may be.....HIV--that's a distinct possibility! Ha!

wow Cort --- your like the head honcho around here! right?

4996! thats alot of posts by the way

taniaaust1

Interesting that all of us who have voted so far choose we'd rather have diabetes. That does make a lot of sense of most of us are on restricted diets anyway, many of us are sticking ourselves with needles (B12 shots) etc.

I choose I'd rather also have MS then CFS/ME. I really dont see much difference between these two illnesses and know someone who's had MS for a quite a time and Im far more restricted then she is. (yeah she gets terrible days when she cant walk, she's even had sight issues at times.. but then so do I and she's never been bedbound as long as I have).

The reason why I'd rather have MS when I think our illnesses are very similar, is due to its recognised!!! and they dont go throu so much crap as we do. I'd trade CFS/ME with MS any day.

SaveMe

Interesting that all of us who have voted so far choose we'd rather have diabetes. That does make a lot of sense of most of us are on restricted diets anyway, many of us are sticking ourselves with needles (B12 shots) etc.

I choose I'd rather also have MS then CFS/ME. I really dont see much difference between these two illnesses and know someone who's had MS for a quite a time and Im far more restricted then she is. (yeah she gets terrible days when she cant walk, she's even had sight issues at times.. but then so do I and she's never been bedbound as long as I have).

The reason why I'd rather have MS when I think our illnesses are very similar, is due to its recognised!!! and they dont go throu so much crap as we do. I'd tried CFS/ME with MS any day.

Yeah, thats true they get MS Walks and Campaigns. And your right, listening to the media talk about ME/CFS can be depressing. To be honest though, I would not trade this for MS because the myelin sheaths in your brain would gradually be deteriorating....something that is distinct and different from ME/CFS.

SaveMe

one of the reasons i wrote this was because people always say this is similar to HIV (retrovirus, etc)
HOWEVER, HIV KILLS! not a good comparison

taniaaust1

Yeah, thats true they get MS Walks and Campaigns. And your right, listening to the media talk about ME/CFS can be depressing. To be honest though, I would not trade this for MS because the myelin sheaths in your brain would gradually be deteriorating....something that is distinct and different from ME/CFS.

"Median observed survival time was 38 years from symptom onset. Mean age at death for women was 65.3 and 65.2 for men. Mean age at death from MS- related causes was 62.5. It stood at 69.3 years for unrelated deaths"

The above quote in '' " is the MS statistics from studies.

You dont see many about who have CFS/ME for 38 years... why?? because they are all dead before that. One study showed we die 13? 15? years earlier then the average person average 55? years. (compared to 62) Who's left from the early Ampligen studies??? (in the 1980s?) I think I read no one.. every one is dead (if im wrong, someone please correct me). I know of quite a few ones who ran early CFS/ME support groups, they are dead too.

CFS/ME is just as serious as MS. Some have died from it... what I'd like to know is just how many are dying from it and those deaths being put down to other causes.

SaveMe

"Median observed survival time was 38 years from symptom onset. Mean age at death for women was 65.3 and 65.2 for men. Mean age at death from MS- related causes was 62.5. It stood at 69.3 years for unrelated deaths"

The above quote in '' " is the MS statistics from studies.

You dont see many about who have CFS/ME for 38 years... why?? because they are all dead before that. One study showed we die 13? 15? years earlier then the average person (that's twice as much as death for MS). Who's left from the early Ampligen studies??? (in the 1980s?) I think I read no one.. every one is dead. I know of quite a few ones who ran early CFS/ME support groups, they are dead too.

CFS/ME is just as serious as MS. Some have died from it... what I'd like to know is just how many are dying from it and those deaths being put down to other causes.

Shit, you are really scaring me. You cant be serious? ? how do you die from this ? Am I gonna die?

Wonko

it's not and I did consider not answering on that basis

I only answered coz I have diabetes, my father had heart disease so i know about the limits that imposes, my mother had progressive MS so I know a little about that, know nothing about pancreatic cancer but from my understanding it's fast if not treatable, and according to my understanding HIV is fully treatable these days as long as it hasnt developed into AIDS.

QOL implication for all of them are significantly less than ME - and they are accepted/recognised conditions

in general I would prefer any of them to ME - but I agree, on anythign but a strictly personal level the poll is not particularly tasteful.

Tia

Well the biggest diseases aren't what I'd like to exactly have, but diabetes? Sure! As long as they take their shots they're fine so what the hell.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I would not trade this for MS because the myelin sheaths in your brain would gradually be deteriorating....something that is distinct and different from ME/CFS.

Guess what? Our myelin sheaths are gradually deteriorating too!

Sushi

Merry

SaveMe, you are an interesting soul. For several days I've been wondering if all your started threads are a parody of PR Forums. Or you're a flash mob instigator? I don't know whether to laugh - or. . . ?

Ok, about this particular poll, I rather do feel I have heart disease, rather do feel I have MS. And some overlap, a little, with diabetes symptoms. Hmm, but some people do lose limbs and eyesight from diabetes, and I'm in no fear of losing those. I can't say I know what it's like to have pancreatic cancer, but after being sick for decades, I can see the advantage to a quick death.

But I am so used to having ME/CFS I'm not sure I would trade for another disease. ME/CFS sort of is who am. It is my fate, I accept it. And I find it interesting to play a little part in a big medical mystery.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
But I am so used to having ME/CFS I'm not sure I would trade for another disease. ME/CFS sort of is who am. It is my fate, I accept it. And I find it interesting to play a little part in a big medical mystery.

Don't think I'd want to trade. There is hope on the horizon and like Merry, I'd like to be a small player in medical history. At the moment I'm doing, this by being a guinea pig for an experimental treatment that looks promising.

And, by the way, most of us have heart dysfunction if not disease. It goes with the territory.

Sushi

SOC

I'm not really sure how appropriate this poll is.

Agreed.

I'm also in agreement with Wonko on this point:
but I agree, on anythign but a strictly personal level the poll is not particularly tasteful

We have a very serious illness. That's more than enough. Playing "Who has the worst illness?" is juvenile and in poor taste.