• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I keep having hypoglycemic symptoms without actual low blood sugar ?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I didn't realise that you could buy a blood sugar monitor quite cheaply (Chris Kresser mentions this in the article) so now I know I will buy one to get some idea of what is going on.

Blood sugar monitors aren't very accurate. Once I realized I was having hypoglycemic episodes I got a well-reviewed blood sugar monitor and started testing my blood sugar. Initially I would do a single test and rely on the number I got. I knew, without a doubt that my symptoms were related to low blood sugar because eating caused the symptoms to disappear within minutes (and eating before symptoms would usually appear would prevent them from arising). Sometimes the monitor would agree with my symptoms, sometimes it wouldn't.

So then I started doing three tests each time and found that the monitor could give very different results across the three tests. I learned to trust my symptoms more than the monitor.

I'm pointing this out so that you don't start to doubt your own symptoms just because a home blood glucose monitor says your blood sugar is fine. A monitor can be useful, but I wouldn't trust individual readings. I think you're better off looking at how often the values agree with your symptoms, while giving priority to the symptoms and whether they are relieved by eating.

Something else to consider is that person A might not display low blood sugar symptoms until their BS is very low, while person B may be far more sensitive and start showing symptoms even when BS would be considered low-normal. If you are in the second group then a doctor might look at your readings and say you're fine, while relying on the readings instead of your symptoms. A monitor might help you to determine how sensitive you are by relying on many readings over a few weeks.

Like most things related to health - it's complicated. :)

kangaSue

The answer might be found in ATP-sensitive potassium channel dysfunction, either from genetic mutations or more likely in ME/CFS, skeletal muscle ischemia which can blockade KATP channels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3125986/
[Glucose uptake in KATP null mice
A potentially interesting, but poorly understood, role of skeletal muscle KATP is regulation of glucose uptake. It has been recognized for some time that treatment with sulfonylureas improves glucose homeostasis, independent of its effect on insulin secretion, by improving peripheral insulin sensitivity (86, 346, 386). Skeletal muscle is a major site for insulin-stimulated glucose uptake and sulfonylureas can enhance insulin-stimulated and basal glucose uptake into isolated skeletal muscle or L6 myotubes (330, 409, 423). The conclusion that blockade of skeletal muscle KATP channels increases basal or insulin-dependent glucose uptake is supported by studies of KATP-deficient Kir6.2−/− and SUR2−/− animals (Table 1) (55, 274). In these mice there is enhanced glucose uptake, consistent with an inhibitory effect of skeletal muscle KATP activity on glucose uptake. It remains unclear precisely how KATP regulates glucose uptake, but appears to be independent of the classical IRS-1/PI3-K signaling pathway (277).

A negative relationship between KATP channel activity and glucose uptake potentially provides a negative feedback from electrical activity to the metabolic state of the cell and its substrate usage. It is intriguing to speculate that with increased KATP channel activity (e.g. as will occur with KATP mutations associated with neonatal diabetes (298)), not only will insulin secretion from β–cells be reduced, but glucose uptake into skeletal muscle may also be limited, thereby exacerbating the hyperglycemic phenotype. Similarly, we may also speculate that in obesity an accumulation of fatty acyl coA intermediates, by activating KATP (249), will exacerbate insulin resistance (422).]

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00424-009-0771-y

You may want to ask for a 24 hour urine catecholamine test. Your body releases these when your blood sugar drops and that's part of what causes the feelings associated with hypoglycemia. A pheochromocytoma (the adrenal tumor your doctor is talking about) can also cause excessive release of these.

Do you have any orthostatic intolerance symptoms as well?
Hello, I finished all tests and everything has come back normal! I'm so tired I'm not sure what else to do, I can't live like this.

Please note I am not a doctor. Always follow your doctors medical advise. They are qualified an they are responsible for accurately advising you and guiding you. The following is just my opinion as a patient.

First....in my opinion in people who suffer from 'low blood sugar' attacks, who don't meet the simple test method any doctors surgery or nurse can do.....

Check what your actual fasting blood glucose and/or post prandial results are first of all. Many doctors are cynical about non diabetics because they are used to seeing very low levels, conversely others with diabetes will tell you they feel wobbly and faint (and nervous) before their blood glucose is officially low! These are the people I speak with, people who have to monitor their glucose daily, they know what's up as they suffer the consequences of not monitoring their sugars with a monitor every day. So they tell me what PWME also say (interestingly), they can also feel really sick, eve without ''officially'' low levels, just 'low normal' ,or very near low. Maybe this is due to both conditions being associated to Autonomic Dysfunction as well, who knows. (Diabetes often have neuropathy, and some have POTS).

So that's the first hurdle. Find your actual level.

On the basis it's low normal..... I'm then thinking the following.

PWME or 'Chronic Lyme' report episodic low blood sugar attacks or feeling like it, that respond to immediate consumption of glucose. Some even say they have to eat all the time and don't just get re-active hypos (post food), and they are getting fasting hypo's. No cause is found, perhaps though, as they don't have all the tests - so we can't say 'no cause is ever found' for sure, as most patients have limited tests, or are too ill to have the more complex ones that need to be done in Hospital.

You could say that's inevitable as the brain uses huge amounts of energy and in ME CFS, mitochondria is slammed. Hence, the brain is maybe running a lower glucose level anyway (cerebral glucose) and coupled with autonomic dysfunction, we're probably super sensitive to brain glucose going lower than it should. This is all theoretical. More likely it's to do with crappy hormonal regulation in the brain, due to chronic low grade inflammation (my hunch), hence you 'mimic' other endocrine disorders, without having them as it's centrally mediated dysfunction (brain) not organ mediated (pancreas or adrenals).

Having a 'hypo' was one of my first symptoms with mild 'CFS' (no hint of ME), before coming down with severe housebound ME, so years before I got like I am now, I used to go everywhere with a candy bar and coca cola 'just in case', which once I knew that was involved, reversed the symptoms and was less terrifying when the symptoms hit.

I first got it exercising (when I had mild 'CFS'), and would have to eat copious amounts of food to 'reverse' the attacks that without made me throw up or start shaking violently, going freezing cold after swimming, playing tennis etc.

Now, here's where it gets interesting: Autoimmune POTS patients (tested myself already) often have ME. There's an antibody adrenal receptor than can affect insulin secretion, so maybe, people with this autoimmune problem have an 'immune based' random hypo event due to insulin levels fluctuating?

If you have ME or CFS or Chronic Lyme:

I'd do the following if the doctors are stumped after running a basic morning (fasting) blood glucose and it's hovering above the cut off limit for clinically proven hypoglycemia.

*Fasting insulin levels and post prandial (after a meal).
*Baseline cortisol and ACTH levels together (must be together). If they're low, you'll probably then get an ACTH stimulation test to rule out Addison's disease.
*Check all other pituitary hormones if possible and Thyroid is important.

More advanced tests...

*Glucose tolerance test in hospital (12hr fast beforehand) to rule out provoked reactive hypoglycemia (you drink glucose in the hospital and 'wait').

*Growth Hormone deficiency stimulation test (multiple ways of doing this). This is important as low blood sugar events can occur in Adult Growth Hormone deficiency. It's rare PWME PWCFS get this test, if at all If you look up the symptoms of Adult Growth Hormone deficiency, they may not be 'ME', but they are rather similar to CFS (including shortness of breath and prone to anxiety/panic attacks). There's no reason why patients can't have both conditions.

Failing that, I'd test all your nutritional markers in case your very deficient in chromium or something that helps regulate blood sugar, however, this may not be the problem in the end at all, and something far more simple.

As frustrating as it is, you have to stick with the doctors advice, even if it's slow and takes months. And if you're getting nowhere, think outside the box and suggest other ideas and see what they think.

Good luck.
Everything came back normal my thyroid and hormones I'm not sure what else to do I'm thinking it might be lupus ? I was diagnosed with it at 16 ? Now I'm 20 so I'm thing it might be that.