Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

I just remembered the study that found XMRV!!

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by VillageLife, Jan 12, 2011.

1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    BUT does anyone remember this?..........

A German study published in 2010 tested the respiratory tract secretions from 329 individuals, 3 different groups of patients with respiratory tract infection (RTI) and a healthy control group. Samples that were positive by gag-nested PCR were retested by real-time PCR. XMRV was detected in about 10% of patients with transplantation-related immunosuppression, compared to about 2-3% in the other 3 groups. The detected XMRV gag sequences were 98%99% identical to previously published XMRV sequences from prostate cancer patients

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Remember it well. No idea why it doesn't get mentioned very much. Maybe because it isn't trying to tie XMRV to CFS / Prostate cancer and wasn't blood. It was a real mystery as well that some of the authors did a blood test after that (and didn't find XMRV) on PC or CFS (I can't remember).

3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I remember this study, as it supplies some evidence that XMRV might be spread by saliva (as it's found in the respiratory tract). Why is it so relevant for you now?

4. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    I remember this one too, it was lead by a German researcher, Prof.Dr. Nicole Fischer. If I'm right, she (in co-operation with others) developed a Micro-array for finding XMRV. This array finds all viruses, even not identified ones. And it works apparently superb, since it DID find even XMRV! ;)

OS.

5. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Wasn't Hohn involved in both this study, and two negatives studies (one since the above),including the CDC study? It seems bizarre that the same researcher involved in three studies, two that would have differing results.

BB

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Germany

Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus–related Gammaretrovirus in Respiratory Tract

Nicole Fischer, Claudia Schulz, Kristin Stieler, Oliver Hohn, Christoph Lange, Christian Drosten, and Martin Aepfelbacher

Author affiliations: University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany (N. Fischer, C. Schulz, K. Stieler, M. Aepfelbacher); Robert Koch-Institute, Berlin, Germany (O. Hohn); Leibniz-Center for Medicine and Biosciences, Borstel, Germany (C. Lange); and University of Bonn Medical Centre, Bonn, Germany (C. Drosten)

XMRV was found in respiratory secretions in 3.2% of healthy control samples (study not carried out on ME patients).
    Respiratory samples taken from patients with respiratory tract infection and healthy persons.
    http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/16/6/1000.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/16/6/1000-T.htm

7. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Is it just the fact that XMRV is much easier to detect in respiratory secretions?

8. Tia

Tia Senior Member

Oo, I've wondered about this. Finally I know. So it really was from a prostate cancer examination..

9. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

It seems so long ago, now.....I guess it was - it was in June of last year.

See more popular forum discussions.