• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have the flu and some of my regular symptoms are on hold

I have the flu for the first time in years. On super strength antibiotics (875mg) as it has moved into my chest. Some of my day-to-day chronic illness symptoms had started to abate before I went on antibiotics. No cramping feet, can walk with less pain (I use a walker with wheels) without a walker for much longer,
less brainfog. I had a temperature of 38.7•C . Has my body forgotten that it's supposed to torture me? I still have pain but it's lessened whilst sick with flu. Flu pain but not my usual pain so much. I feel like garbage, but flu garbage, not my regular standard garbage as much. Different. Makes me think that I should explore some of these overseas pharmacies for antivirals or antibiotics or something. My temp is still elevated slightly. Just wondering why my tremors have stopped (for now) and I can move my legs without doubling over in pain, whilst I have the flu? Bizarre.

Cheesus

I have seen accounts where people say their ME symptoms disappear when they get infections. Someone on this forum recently reported they felt fantastic when they got the zika virus.

There seems to be a subset of patients who never get infections of any kind. One possible explanation is that their immune system is chronically hyperactive. It is possible that you were feeling better prior to the flu because your immune system was finally slowing down, which in turn left you open to infections.

Obviously that is just pure speculation. We will hopefully have some clearer answers over the next few years.

I hope you feel better soon! :thumbsup:

Seven7

Seven
My ME Symtoms go away when I have a cold, I got zica and it went away, or any cold like virus I can go w no restrictions.

snowathlete

I really really want researchers to pay more attention to this. Early on in my illness I got a cold and while I had the cold I felt great. Obviously, I had a bad cold so that sucked, but my ME improved dramatically. I could have worked like that, I was well enough. The cold went and I got all my ME symptoms back. It was not that my immune system had calmed down and that led to getting the cold, it was that I got the cold and that caused my symptoms to disappear temporarily. It was very noticeable. In addition I very rarely get colds/flu since having ME despite exposure, and I think that is because my immune system, part of it at least, is on full steam ahead all the time, meaning no viruses ever have a chance to get a grip. Normally viruses can invade and take hold for a few days before the immune system ramps up an effort to clear it, but in ME they invade the body and find the defenders are already active and they get destroyed quick. It's the activity of the immune system that causes many of the symptoms. I know not everyone with ME has this, some get all infections (I think there is a poll on here somewhere, and it's fairly even split?) but i think research into this phenomenon would likely uncover mechanisms that apply to both groups.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @AussieLady

I presume the flu that moved into your chest is a bacterial infection? Otherwise, a flu virus won't be affected by antibiotics. Antibiotics can really change the composition of your gut--have probiotics been recommended as well?

Using antibiotics when no bacterial infection is present simply makes the bacteria more resistant to antibiotics so that future bacterial infections that could be life threatening will not respond to AB therapy.

It's possible your body is rallying a defense that it does not normally against the chronic (whatever the origin) infection so that you are feeling the effects of that. I would still get lots of rest and allow your body to heal.

*GG*

Hi @AussieLady

I presume the flu that moved into your chest is a bacterial infection? Otherwise, a flu virus won't be affected by antibiotics. Antibiotics can really change the composition of your gut--have probiotics been recommended as well?

I was going to respond, why are you on Antibiotics for a Virus?

GG