• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I Have Half of a Sore Throat

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It started getting sore yesterday and has been extremely sore all day today. But only on the left side of my throat, jaw, and neck. It hurts to swallow. It hurts not to swallow. Hot things hurt. Cold things hurt. Swallowing pills is literally a pain. This has happened before. Does anyone else get this.

I have also just started have pain in my left front chest wall. I wonder how/if I am going to sleep tonight.

sianrecovery

yes, for me its related to my long-running, low grade dental infection in that side of my mouth. I gargle propolis tincture or colloidal silver, because its infection related. But sore throats and ME are ancient bedfellows, lets face it, it could be a lot of things.

alex3619

My best guess is you have an infection that is causing inflammation of the lymph node on that side. Is it swollen? That infection could be anywhere nearby that would lead to the lymph node. If it persists or worsens I would suggest seeing a doctor.

snowathlete

I got this same symptom last week, which led to a cold. I dont know why it was only one side (right in my case) but it was very painful. Hope you feel better soon. If it doenst go away then go to doctor and get a culture done.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
It started getting sore yesterday and has been extremely sore all day today. But only on the left side of my throat, jaw, and neck. It hurts to swallow. It hurts not to swallow. Hot things hurt. Cold things hurt. Swallowing pills is literally a pain. This has happened before. Does anyone else get this.

I have also just started have pain in my left front chest wall. I wonder how/if I am going to sleep tonight.

Or, it could be an infection in the sinus on that side--that is what it usually is for me.

Sushi

Little Bluestem

I don’t have colloidal silver and don’t know what propolis is. Yesterday, I was gargling water with salt and baking soda, and 50:50 water:hydrogen peroxide. It didn’t seem to do much good. Today I bought sore throat spray and anesthetic lozenges. It may be a little better. I suspect that the main thing it is going to take is time and rest.

I have been to my dentist a couple of time recently, so I don’t think I have a dental infection. I am not sure where the lymph node is, but there is swelling on the right side of my throat and upward toward my ear. I think it is too low and to far back to be a sinus.

I went to my doctor Tuesday. She is 1.5 hrs away. While I am in the 'big city', I like to shop for things that I cannot get closer to home. I get over tired in the process. That has probably allowed one of the viruses I am hosting to become more active.

Asklipia

@ Little Bluestem
This used to happen to me. Lymph blockage on the left side due to sympathetic/parasympathetic imbalance.
If you have the determination there is a way out :
40 days of this.
http://kriyas.ru/node/202
Better print it out before it disappears. I did not find it elsewhere on the Internet. This is something I learnt a long time ago. But could not do because I was too sick.

Of course you do not do the full timings immediately, do what you can. And do NOT swallow whatever becomes dislodged. Try though to do it EVERY DAY. Even for a couple of minutes only.

It works even at lower timings. But something else starts happening when you can do the full timings. It is a kind of do-it-yourself Perrin Technique, I would say even better.

Optional extra : paint the gums on the left side before you go to sleep with half olive oil/half oregano oil. One drop on your finger rubbed over the gums. Alternative to oregano oil, thieves oil you can make yourself.
If it burns your mouth, it means there is not enough olive oil in your mixture. I did up to 3 times a day for a few weeks.
Good luck!
Be well!
Asklipia

Little Bluestem

Asklipia, I don’t know why I didn’t see this sooner. The link led me to an “exercise set for upper body, neck and shoulders” with an error message at the top of the page.

I have had these ½ sore throats before. I have been feeling much better for several days. I realized after it was over, that my ME symptoms had been much worse. I was very low energy and slept a lot of the time. This is not unusual when one is sick, but was rather extreme compared to my physical symptoms. My brain fog and ‘clumsiness’ also got a lot worse.

Asklipia

The error is for the drawings which do not show up, the exercise is the right thing to do. When doing it, the ME symptoms get worse.
BUT after some time they get better!! A bit of a Perrin Technique effect.
The exercise is a way to empty the lymph around the skull.
VERY EFFECTIVE.
Of course, the more effective, the more pain. In the beginning.
I thought I was cured and started trying to improve whatever was wrong left from this life of sickness. One of the things is a dowager's hump and worsening eyesight. The first has disappeared 90% after 2 months of the daily exercise. i have had strange feelings in the eye, sometimes pain. Recurrence of brain fog and clumsiness. But those lasted for four days maximum every time. Which shows that these ME symptoms are related to a lymph problem in the neck/brain/shoulders.
The exercise brought back intense episodes of ME symptoms, but they did not last. The trick is NOT to stop doing the exercise, just reduce the timings to 1 mn.
This is a very subtle exercise, and after more than 60 days I am still discovering ways in which it works.
Now I am sure that my hump will be totally gone and will stay gone after no more than an extra month of this.
I have had painful small rearrangement of hips and knees but now I am jumping around! Generally nothing lasts for more than 5 days.
Lots of good wishes!
Asklipia

Little Bluestem

Did you do the whole set of exercises or just the first one? Do you know what the ‘Easy Pose’ is?

The first physical symptom, beyond PEM, that I had was burning in the armpits and ‘legpits’. I assumed this was lymphatic system dysfunction.

Asklipia

The whole set. Easy pose is you sit on the floor with crossed legs. However if this is not possible, you start doing them standing (easier, less torsion). When it is better, you sit on a hard stool, so that the hips are anchored (more torsion).
Good luck. The lymph comes out in armpits etc. Eventually it only happened once every two weeks or so.
This is a mechanical way to clean the lymphatic system, whatever might be wrong with it. When I had massages, it made me worse (most probably the lymph being pushed where it should not have been going). When I did it myself, eventually I was fine.
Good luck!
If you really do this, send me a PM and I shall help as you go along.
Asklipia

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Asklipia
just wondering do you have the set of instructions handy?
I have a acute state of spine inflammation at present - very sore and my dowagers hump is growing daily.
It comes and goes as my symptoms increase or decrease, very bad just now.

Little Bluestem

It's Back

This time it is on the right side. Currently the inside surface of my throat is not sore. The soreness is 'in between' the skin and inside surface and is centered at the corner of my jaw. I am assuming there are lymph nodes there.

It is only mildly sore, unless I poke it, right now. I am trying doing more bouncing on my rebounder, since that is supposed to improve lymph circulation. If I can find my cold/heat pack tomorrow, I will put some heat on it.

taniaaust1

I commonly get a one sided sore throat, it happens thou when Ive been over doing it (its one of my ME warning signs to slow down). In my case I think its some kind of viral reactivation going on. I probably get at least a bit of a one side sore throat (in my case its always my right side) at least once a fortnight.

Little Bluestem

It is a little better today. The local health store has been out of my favorite sinus supplement for a while. I got a new bottle last week and opened it today. I noticed that it said that would also improve lymphatic drainage.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Don't give up on it know matter what. That is how my cancer started and the one characteristic that is in the upper 90% range is it only appears on one side and it will never become present on the other side. It started with a large lymph node right behind where the big mandible bone turns up behind tonsils.

There are 3 lymph nodes in a cluster right there and the larger one feeds off into 2 directions I believe. Fine needle aspiration came up inconclusive. As soon as they did the PET/CT Scan there was no doubt about it.

Little Bluestem

It went away without becoming severe this time. I did notice a 'sensation' (it is difficult to describe) in my armpits from time to time. They also contain lymph nodes.

drob31

You sure this a lymph node, and not either a thyroid nodule, parathyroid gland nodule, or tonsils?