Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

I Had to Get Cancer to Become a More Empathetic Doctor

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by undiagnosed, Feb 3, 2017.

1. undiagnosed

undiagnosed Senior Member

United States
    Source

2. Murph

Murph :)

Well this should be comprehensive reading, every morning, in every med school.

3. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Thanks for posting, interesting read. How about breaking up the larger paragraphs to make it easier to read online :)

GG

4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I'm sure Sir Osler meant well, but the word "unspoken" makes me feel uneasy. Obviously he means be alert and pick up on all the clues you can, but if it's unspoken then the patient isn't actually telling the doctor anything at all, the doctor is using his judgment to make assumptions. That may be ok if the doctor has good judgement, but with the wrong type of doctor this licence to learn from what the patient doesn't say could go horribly wrong. Worst case it could be a blank cheque to diagnose the patient with whatever you feel like no matter what the patient says - but no-one would be that unprofessional, would they?

5. undiagnosed

United States
    @TiredSam, if I'm reading correctly, I understood the last part of your comment as being sarcastic. Most of us have experienced exactly that. For example, maybe they perceived you as knowing too much or presenting too much data and viewed it as inappropriate. Maybe you upset them by being too "difficult." There was a study about difficult patients tending to get worse care. Maybe they saw your extensive medical history and just wrote you off as a hypochondriac or "difficult." Maybe your doctor put anxiety in your chart because they couldn't diagnose you properly and that biases future providers. There is so much bias in the diagnostic process as it stands currently. That's why I'm excited as more diagnostics are moved from humans to intelligent machines that lack the same sources of bias. It's why I also believe the patient needs more freedom to order their own investigations. There are too many government regulations preventing this. It's completely dumbfounding to have debilitating symptoms and just be dismissed as if nothing is wrong.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Yep, I was referring to exactly what you're talking about.

Sorry about the sarcasm - I've heard the NHS offers a Gradually Acquired Sincerity Program - GASP - maybe I'll see if I can get a place.

7. undiagnosed

United States
    :lol:

Barry53 and TiredSam like this.

See more popular forum discussions.