• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I get chills for 2 weeks after a single attempt of killing gut microbes; permanent cure found: cod liver/oil or sashimi. See last post.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
How to resolve chills using a simple household grill

Anyone interested in this thread, I just found a damn simple method for resolving chills. I did some health experiment today and got chills. My chills were just as usual: so bad that hugging two hot water bottles and being under two thick sheepwool winter-blankets did nothing to them. Drinking hot water neither. Now, what I did: I have a small household grill that has four heating rods inside. They turn glowing red when it grills food. I though they must emit infrared. Red all the benefits of saunas and infrared saunas. So I opened the front door and positioned me some 15cm from the grill, such that my belly or my back got a nice comfortable warmth out of that front door.
➞ A few minutes later all chills gone!!!
I am amazed. It feels as nice and cosy in my body as if there never had been any chills at all... How come? It cant be the heat in itself because I did not come close enough to the opened grill door that it would be hot. It just felt pleasantly warm, simillar to a warm water bottle. So I ascribe it to the infrared as such.... It also had another amazing effects I did not have from heat alone: I felt like all my intestines started working intensely. Infrared rays penetrate the body some cm deep.

➞ I am curious if this works for other people plagued by chills, too? :)
I guess it might work only for people w/o much fat under the skin, thus, where IR penetration depth really reaches inside...

I did some fact-checking if it is really possible that a infrared from a cheap household grill has some health effects. My conclusion: a clear yes.
Here a Harvard-professor with >300 publications thinks that:
"Well, therapy is only effective at certain light lengths. 700-760nm has very little to no effect, and when you get to 800, the effects come back.
...all the wavelengths from 800-10,000nm do the same things"
And here you learn which range it is what we humans sense as heat.
➞ My conclusion: if I sense it as heat then I can be sure it is in the therapeutic range. My simple kitchen grill is. :) :)

Last edited:

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Permanent cure for my chills
(chills = cold in the torso with flu-like feeling)

This is my update after some years of not having had any chills:
I have cured the chills taking cod liver oil. First a small dose to get used to it, then the effect came when I increased the dose to 12g per day. After 2 weeks I did something what would have triggered these horrible chills. Nothing happened. I was cured.
Cod liver oil got me GERD after some weeks, so I switched to cod liver and found it super super tasty and not causing GERD.
I write this post now, years later, confirming that it was a permanent cure. It was permanent possibly because I get the same nutrients from eating copious amounts of sashimi (raw fish): tons of animal vitamin A, and DHA + EPA. Before all this, I got mostly carotene, which poorly converts to vitamin A as all paleo friends know :) ) and essentially no DHA and EPA from food, except some from supplements. But I have some doubts about any of these specific nutrients alone causing the fast and dramatic change because before I had highest amounts of carotene and still some fishoil from supps. All I really know is that the whole foods cod liver oil / cod liver did it what nothing else did and then it stayed with me. I am forever thankful for having these horrible chills resolved for good!!!

Last edited:

Hopeful2021

Thank you all on this thread for thinking about my issue! A new idea: There is such a think as losing tolerance to antigens from normal gut flora. This can happen after an EBV, which is exactly when this type of probs started in me.

View attachment 23065

The above actually fits in a way both the ideas of endotoxin as well as "non-existent bacteria": that is, there are only normal gut bugs and they produce a normal amount of endotoxins (and more when I disturb them), but my reaction to them is abnormal.

Why I am so interested in the possibility of an EBV-induced loss of tolerance: Just when the EBV struck me years ago, I developed strange gut complaints such as diarrhea from meat. Imagine this: I get the swollen lymphnodes, and then, I whenever I eat any meat, diarrhea. And the doctor diagnoses me with EBV and says that bowel probs sometimes come with the EBV and will go later. But in me they stayed and I had to be vegan for years. I only could eat meat again when I went on a ketogenic diet which is well known to deplete gut bugs (thus reducing antigens from normal gut flora a lot). How the meat intolerance ties in here is not entirely clear, but I have some immature first ideas such as:
  • the intestinal inflammation caused by the intolerance to normal gut flora drives up mtor in the gun. Meat and cheese contain more of the aminos (than plant protein) that drive up mtor even further ➞ diarrhea
  • I vaguely recall that enzymes digesting proteins can disrupt the protein crosslinks of the bacterial biofilm matrix ➞ gut bugs come out of their hide

Now, the big question: Has anyone ever heard about such an EBV-induced loss of tolerance towards normal gut flora? Any more references, links, whatever?
I believe this may be relevant for many people here on PR as variousest problems such as CFS or autoimmunity are linked to EBV, and intolerance to normal gut flora may add a piece to the puzzle.
Before, my digestion was not perfect, I easily got diarrhea, but I did not have to chose between keto or always diarrhea when I eat meat, and I did not get chills from probiotics or killing gut bugs either.

(btw D-lactate was normal. I tried charcoal with killing gut bugs, but still got the same chills... Also I had 3 leaky gut tests done: LPS in blood, procalcitonin, and even the scientific-grade test: antibodies to LPS of gut bacteria. Also my IL-6 was always normal, indicating absence of systemic immune activation. My conclusion from all this is that LPS apparently does not enter my blood (?) and I have no leaky gut (?). The immune reaction apparently happens entirely in the gut: gut epithelial cells and immune cells in the gut react to LPS. Maybe the vagus nerve picks it up from there.... and so I feel the chills?)
Hi
I'm keto adapted.
A few things- those natto and other fermented are often short chain fatty acids.
It would be good to get a breath ketone meter to see what your fuel mix is - your respiratory quotient.
It's quite common in keto community to have chills during fasting. There are about 8 gazillion theories as to why. The key then is to combat and get out of your chilled state.
What is your protein thermogenesis reaction like? Do you get warm after eating your protein servings? Are you eating at least enough in one meal in order to promote lean mass gains and start the biochemical reaction to utilize protein.
It important to understand how your body heats itself to rule out a number of things from these chills.
Also the eucalyptus oil is probably just to strong.
Have you tried monolaurine or just mixing different types of mct oils and powders?
How often are you getting your microbiome tested and is it by reputable companies?
Do you regularly get h.pylori tests to rule that out?
Since the gut is tied to the brain and the gut is tied to the lymphatic system and the glymphatic system cleans the brain, are you doing gentle things for your lymph and brain...?

mtor and protein.... I suggest it isn't a worry. That's kind of old and dogmatic. The brain needs protein and it needs protein and it works best with real animal protein. The amount of vegetable based poor protein a person would need to eat would cause such insulin resistance and a very overactive microbiome... which since it's so complex might work for some. Best to get as much data on it on individual basis.

also back to chills, it good to take daily temperature and sync with hormone tests.