1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

I feel very dehydrated, no matter how much I drink

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by gu3vara, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Very interesting. I was going to start a thread here asking about retaining water. I've been retaining water since I got sick. It's related to my PMS bloating but is much more extreme than before I was sick and extends to more than just my belly, but also my face, legs, etc. I did not have this problem before CFS or during CFS remissions. Is it safe to take potassium supplements?

2. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    It is safe to take potassium in reasonable amounts. I mix 1/4 teaspoon potassium citrate per liiter of water, along with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. I find I need sodium also. That's a 2:1 sodium: potassium ratio. You might need a 1:1 or even 1:2 ratio, you'll have to experiment a bit to find out.

3. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Your electrolyte levels are dependent on cortisol, aldosterone, vasopressin, oxyticin, estrogen and probably others. I don't think you can gain much information from homone tests, unless there is an obvious problem found (like diabetes insipidus).

The most obvious symptom of low sodium is losing water (peeing all the time), but also headache, dizziness, weakness, and many others. You can find the information on the Internet, it's no mystery.

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There is another issue here. I am always thirsty but rarely dehydrated. My throat is always dry and sometimes painful. I find the best solution is to slowly sip soda water. It only takes a swig every now and again. This will not help if there is genuine dehydration though. For some reason the soda water makes my throat normal for a while. I actually knew someone with Chiari Syndrome who also benefited from doing this.​
    A second issue is that I think many of us have constant all over sweating. We lose water through our skin. This is an acetylcholine thing I think. I am really only guessing about this, but other explanations do not make sense for me for when I do get dehydrated.​

taniaaust1 and L'engle like this.
  5. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Thank you, I may try this. I'd love to have my water retention go away. Will update if I try it.

6. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I tend to be sensitive to sodium. Partially because I have high blood pressure (I am on Lisinopril which actually lowers sodium in my body), but also because I think it sometimes increases pain in certain areas of my body. I get some sodium with my foods, but do I still need at least some sodium in my electrolyte mix? Also, is too much chloride a bad thing?

7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    You might not need the sodium. You could try adding a little potassium first. If you find you have to go to the bathroom too often, add in sodium (but keep it at a 1:1 ratio with potassium). You have to be careful with sodium if your blood pressure is high. Chloride is harsh on the GI tract, so take it with food. It is acidic, citrate is alkaline.

Lotus97 likes this.
  8. Wifi123

Wifi123 Senior Member

For a long time I suffered with dry mouth and particularly at nighttime and I still suffer extremely. I also suffered from burning, tingling sensations in the mouth, a metallic taste as if I had battery acid in my mouth, lips and tongue feels swollen, feel as though my mouth is infected, and the tongue just tingles all the time.

Any medical treatment was in vain.

My mouth in fact felt as though it was acting like a battery. It felt as though I was experiencing the voltaic affect, and I went to a dental site, and discovered that amalgam fillings in my teeth were causing a galavanic affect, that is, it was producing a current through electrosis of the silver and mercury of the fillings with my saliva, and the electro magnetic fields and radiation around me was the electro motive force to produce this affect.

I had the amalgam fillings removed and the extreme suffering reduced considerably, but, unknowingly to the dentist, who should have been switched on, he replaced the amalgam fillings with metal-based ceramics, so I still suffer extreme dryness of the mouth and tongue, and I drink oodles of water to try to quench the dryness, because the metal in the fillings is a conductive material.

The medical fraternity refer to it as burning mouth syndrome, and the modern wireless technology is one of the main causation factor of this frustrating syndrome.

9. Bunchy

Bunchy

UK
    Well I have upped my salt intake (sea salt on food) and the thirst/urination is *slightly* better.

Esperanza x

taniaaust1 likes this.
  10. lef07003

lef07003

I am on methyl supps and this is happening to me . I am drinking absurd amounts of water and nothing quenches me and I wouldn't even say I'm excessively urinating by any means. I should be for the amount of liquid I am putting in. My constipation is also worse than usual and I am so hungry only because I think the mechanism of you're full or you're hydrated is turned off (or i am just eating because i am so thirsty) Could this be a potassium issue ? The last time I remember this happening was when I was on some methyl supps and this just happened in the past few days. I bought some potassium today and am trying it. Prior to this I had been salting everything and drinking water with sea salt due to low bp and craving it. Could this have thrown things off ? I seem to really not want salt right now. I had electrolytes run last week and they were perfectly normal (except high albumin) so I have no desire to pay to run them again if I have any more blood tests I will have no blood left in me and this passed once before so I assume it will again but it's so annoying! I tried electrolyte mix didnt seem to do much. If it is potassium -how long until I know it's working?

See more popular forum discussions.