• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I drink 200oz of Gatorade per day, help me

IreneF

I've already had an ACTH test, diabetes insipidus, A1C, and the other usual suspects. All tests are normal. These symptoms started around 20 years ago. It has had ups and downs. When I finally did manage to make it to the cardiologist (for POTS) they told me to 'push myself' and 'exercise'. Can't drink plain water because it makes me nauseous. If I substitute gatorade for another sports drink, with a lot of potassium, I become extremely nauseous.

While walking (from the parking garage) to the University of Maryland Medical I got lost, because I'm 'out of it'. But if you let me lie down I will 'come back', also brain comes back online and thirst signals are more prominent. If I could lie down all day, I would be normal. This is how I got through high school btw....

Only use the powder gatorade, and only use 60% of the recommended amount (I drink out of a 64oz gatorade container, more convenient). When I was at the holistic DR in 2013 they also mentioned some of the things other posters have mentioned, like drinking for blood sugar reasons, etc. Was on flourinef 20 years ago, don't remember the result. Ritalin does briefly help symptoms, but can crash afterwards because it retards thirst.
Are you close to NIH? That's where I was diagnosed with CFS. They have clinical services. I just called them out of the blue, no referral. I was living in Takoma Park at the time and I had no regular doctor.

Valentijn

I'll try the Vitalyte but it costs over double of Gatorade.
The problem with Gatorade is that it's a sports drink, not an electrolyte mix developed for real dehydration. It might be cheap, but the contents are pretty horrible - mostly sugar, a lot of salt, and a tiny bit of potassium. The contents of an electrolyte mix will usually have far less sugar, more electrolytes, and a better balance between sodium and potassium.

Vincent

Are you close to NIH? That's where I was diagnosed with CFS. They have clinical services. I just called them out of the blue, no referral. I was living in Takoma Park at the time and I had no regular doctor.

I think NIH is in Bethesda. I could get there, as I live a few miles south of Towson. Are you sure they have regular gp's there? All I can find on their website is information related to clinical trials. Can I only be seen there if I'm in a research trial?

The problem with Gatorade is that it's a sports drink, not an electrolyte mix developed for real dehydration. It might be cheap, but the contents are pretty horrible - mostly sugar, a lot of salt, and a tiny bit of potassium. The contents of an electrolyte mix will usually have far less sugar, more electrolytes, and a better balance between sodium and potassium.

Going to try something else (other than gatorade). I don't always have the option, as I live on a low fixed income.

Last edited:

IreneF

I think NIH is in Bethesda. I could get there, as I live a few miles south of Towson. Are you sure they have regular gp's there? All I can find on their website is information related to clinical trials. Can I only be seen there if I'm in a research trial?

I don't know. I went there about 12 years ago. They still have outpatient clinics, according to this page:
https://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/contact.html

Going to try something else (other than gatorade). I don't always have the option, as I live on a low fixed income.