• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I cannot sleep at all

dbkita

I've recently added Molybdenum and Boron right before bedtime and it is helping me sleep through the night. In the morning I'm taking Coral Calcium (power form with nothing else added) and Magnesium Glycinate.

I probably also need to look into adding D3 but I think I have shy'd away from it is because I am not getting enough co-factors (K2, Boron, Zinc and Magnesium). D3 has been one of the few things besides B6 or P5P that promotes dreaming for me.

Other bedtime supps are E-complex from MRM, Beta Care-All and Fish Oil.
I would be curious to know which of the two, the molybdenum or the boron, has more of the impact towards improving your sleep. I am betting the molybdenum but maybe an experiment would be in order? Have you thought of taking the magnesium glycinate at bedtime instead of in the morning?

sregan

I would be curious to know which of the two, the molybdenum or the boron, has more of the impact towards improving your sleep. I am betting the molybdenum but maybe an experiment would be in order? Have you thought of taking the magnesium glycinate at bedtime instead of in the morning?

It's either the Boron or both together. Moly doesn't give me anything noticable by itself. I have taken Mag and Cal at bedtime. It might be worth taking twice per day. I might try that.

sregan

I screwed up my sleep last night. Not sure what. I took 1/2 tab of (25mg) zinc chelate which usually wires me a little. I assume I'm not taking co-factors I need for something zinc is doing. I also had 2 soft boiled eggs for breakfast and believe the sulfur might have effected me. I had dreams of being chased, where I cannot stop for even a second. Those type of dreams seem to always be mercury related. If I have cilantro I can usually count on dreams like that also. The 3rd possibility is that I bought a 3" memory foam mattress topper. I left the thing in my garage for 3 days to air out but could still smell the thing. I guess I'll know tonight whether or not that was a factor. Today I'm excluding the zinc and the eggs.

perchance dreamer

I take zinc, too, but only in the morning. Taken later, it screws up my sleep.

When I've taken it at night, I've had vivid dreams and frequent awakenings.

It's odd: Zinc does help some people with sleep. Lots of people take ZMA before bed and do great with it. That supplement is like insomnia in a pill for me.

This happened to me when I was first taking B vitamins. I didn't sleep for more than a few hours a night for months on end. For me the problem turned out to be very low magnesium levels. I can now fall asleep naturally again now that I have raised my magnesium. A combination of B12 and Potassium dramatically lowered my magnesium (Potassium is synergystic and B12/9 strongly atagonistic to magnesium). I also needed to supplement the other 'sleep' vitamins, Calcium and Zinc at lower levels. When I have enough magnesium interestingly I never need to supplement potassium no matter how much B12 I take whereas before I needed Potassium every few hours (Mag is needed to transport potassium into the cell, so when you have enough potassium gets in easily). I found a good sign it was a magnesium issue is that with low magnesium just didn't get sleepy, and if I did fall asleep I woke regularly (Type II insomnia). Zinc and calcium I woke almost instantly from the point of dropping off, as though I couldn't actually fall asleep even though I was sleepy (Type I insomnia).

I found it utterly terrifying at points, especially in the dark of the night on my own when I was awake for the 50th night in a row. I wondered if I would die of sleep deprivation (but I didn't). You will find a solution, keep searching, if you haven't, try magnesium. I will keep you in my thoughts because I have been there and I know the hell of constant insomnia like this. You can get Red Blood Cell tests for magnesium levels, don't bother with serum tests they are useless although I can't tell you if it will definitely show deficiency as I didn't test whilst I was insomniac. I recommend Better You Magnesium ranges (I use salts and Sprays) if you can get hold of them.

If you are experiencing any of the following, it lends weight to the theory that it could be lowered levels of magnesium:
Feeling colder, especially extremities
Anxiety
'Restless Leg'
Signs of Dysautonomia/blood vessel dysfunction like Livedo Reticularis

I hope things improve very soon.