• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I cannot get my Iron levels up , if I try this happens...?

globalpilot

I had low ferritin problems for 20yrs. As of last year I no longer have any problems since taking Pepzin GI twice a day. My ferritin went way up to 98 on it's own!

Why would your ferritin go up when taking zinc carnosine ?

globalpilot

@Bansaw no, I only took Pepzin GI to make sure it was raising my iron on its own. I take Doctor's Best brand.

I was treated for h.pylori many years ago and I believe it damaged the lining of my gut and interfered with my ability to absorb minerals.

Ok, that makes sense.

NotThisGuy

Be careful with presuming that low ferritin means low iron. They are not the same thing. For example, some people have very low ferritin and low serum iron, but super high liver iron (though this is a rare genetic disorder). Ferritin and iron do not always match. I have super high ferritin and lowish iron - technically "normal" but if my iron drops even one point it wont be. Ferritin is just a clue something might be going on with iron, but then you need further iron tests to be sure.

Just read this.
I have low ferritin and low free iron but high intracellular iron.
What rare genetic disorder are you talking about?
I only know about Hemochromatosis, but all I can find out is that ferritin and free iron is high too in this disorder.

alex3619

Just read this.
I have low ferritin and low free iron but high intracellular iron.
What rare genetic disorder are you talking about?
I only know about Hemochromatosis, but all I can find out is that ferritin and free iron is high too in this disorder.
There are different types of haemochromatosis. One of the rare ones has low serum iron, low serum ferritin, and super high liver iron. I have not looked at this research since I was last investigating my own haemochromatosis status. There is a genetic test for this, but I never bothered to do it as my symptoms do not match. Symptoms are, if I recall correctly, a little different from regular haemochromatosis.