Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

I can have a psychiatric origin?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by eric_gladiator, Sep 6, 2017.

1. eric_gladiator

eric_gladiator

I am always doubted that my ME can have a totally psychiatric origin, untreated traumas, an unresolved past, sleeping badly at night for years, besides adding too much physical activity, bad diet ... The only thing that does not fit me is that my symptoms have appeared with the taking of antidepressants, and if these are to treat those traumas how is that to root of them I developed a disease like this?

2. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    There is no good evidence that ME has a psychiatric origin.

Some people claim to have improved using psychiatric interventions. Whilst I am in no position to say definitively whether those interventions had any efficacy, the reality is that there is a broad lack of evidence that psychology can cause any disease.

If it is apparent that antidepressants triggered your condition, it is more likely that a physiological trauma induced by the medication is the causative agent.

Hutan, Valentijn, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  3. eric_gladiator

eric_gladiator

@Cheesus

being that way you could continue to improve? I have the feeling that as there is something that makes me worse, there must be something that improves me

4. mhrps

mhrps

It is quite usual that CFS/ME sufferers react badly to classical antidepressants. Also, trauma often correlates with maladaptative conditions, not just real problems in life which are subjective. Something which is easy to handle by a healthy person may be unbearable for others. You can have both conditions.

If something makes you worse, it does not mean that there must be a remedy. Medications usually give you benefits at some cost, that for some ppl is just too big to pay (side effects).

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Yes, there is definitely a good chance you could improve. Sometimes that will just occur naturally without any intervention on your behalf other than pacing. Different things work for different people.

6. skipskip30

skipskip30 Senior Member

You also have to consider that the ME/CFS just appeared suddenly or you had it very mildly for a long time with a sudden worsening of symptoms. The timing with starting antidepressants could just be coincidence. It doesn't always have to start after a (noticeable) viral infection. I can understand the burning desire to find a cause or a reason for it but try not to blame yourself for anything you've done. Sometimes these things are just impossible to know.

Personally I think the idea of childhood trauma or psychological issues alone causing this illness is nonsense.

Theres always hope for improvement, just try to pace yourself the best you can and never give up hope.

erin, Hutan, Art Vandelay and 2 others like this.
  7. cfs6691

cfs6691

Did you look into the side effects that those antidepressants are known to cause?Have you googled the names of those medications+liver damage or hepatotoxicity?(particularly advisable if nausea is among your symptoms).How about damage to the peripheral nervous system?There are medications(antibiotics-I don't know about antidepressants) that can cause that kind of damage,so maybe you can look into that as well.What are your symptoms?

See more popular forum discussions.