• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I buzz from small coffee enema, does leaky gut happen in lower colon?

South

If anyone knows much about the circulatory system, or the autonomic nervous system, (or even if you just want to make a guess) please give me an opinion here:

All the articles I've read on coffee enemas state that the cells lining the lower colon, which is the only part of the colon the coffee comes in contact with, are connected to blood vessels that go directly to the liver and do NOT enter the rest of the body's blood circulation.

So if that's true, why do some people get a slight caffeine buzz when doing a coffee enema? And my coffee enemas are very small volume, so it's not as if the coffee is getting up higher into the colon than it should.

Wikipedia says there are several ways caffeine can raise energy: one is by blocking adenosine in the brain, and another is that it "stimulates selected portions of the autonomic nervous system."

I wonder how either of those things could happen if the caffeine in the enema never enters the body's blood circulation. Maybe it actually does enter the body's blood circulation in some people...but how? If I have "leaky gut" in the very lowest area of my colon, that still doesn't explain it - those leaky gut walls are fed by blood vessels that supposedly only go to the liver, nowhere else.

Is the circulatory system really set up so that "all" blood vessels from the lower colon go directly to the liver and not to the circulation of the rest of the body?

The colon does absorb the caffeine to enter the bloodstream -- think about drugs that are given as suppositories -- they work because the medication gets into the bloodstream. The circulatory system is definitely not set up so that all blood vessels from the lower colon go directly to the liver. You would get more caffeine going to the liver via first pass from drinking coffee.

ahmo

I was having difficulty sleeping even when I did CEs very early in the day. I found less buzz first when I switched to lighter roast coffee, and then to very light roast coffee designed specifically for CEs. The lighter the roast, the less buzz. The very light roast has meant that I can even have an enema in the evening without sleeplessness. I've written a blog re CEs, with some references, linked in my signature.