• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypothesis: depression is due to infection

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
http://www.biolmoodanxietydisord.com/content/4/1/10

Reconceptualizing major depressive disorder as an infectious disease
Turhan Canli

Abstract
In this article, I argue for a reconceptualization of major depressive disorder (major depression) as an infectious disease. I suggest that major depression may result from a parasitic, bacterial, or viral infection and present examples that illustrate possible pathways by which these microorganisms could contribute to the etiology of major depression. I also argue that the reconceptualization of the human body as an ecosystem for these microorganisms and the human genome as a host for non-human exogenous sequences may greatly amplify the opportunity to discover genetic links to the illness. Deliberately speculative, this article is intended to stimulate novel research approaches and expand the circle of researchers taking aim at this vexing illness.

Keywords:
Genomics; Virus; Bacterial; Parasite; Depression

A.B.

Although our Western conceptualization puts affective symptoms front-and-center, non-Western patients who meet DSM criteria for major depression report primarily somatic symptoms 6-11], reflecting in part cultural differences in the stigmatization of mental illness.

Thanks to Freud we have been conditioned to view depression as emotional problem.

Sing

Depression can result from a lack of oxygen too. People with ME according to Dr.Kenny DeMeleir are "poor ventilators". This is true for me and the cause in my case seems to be autonomic dysfunction. Also muscular and fascial constrictions. People who have other conditions with low oxygen,such as cardiac blockages, also report depression.