• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypotension from CoQ10?

bigmillz

Decided to try adding CoQ10 to my daily regime, on top of PQQ. I had a really bad reaction to ubiquinol many weeks ago - super dizzy, weak, flu like symptoms.

Yesterday I noticed I was feeling very relaxed but a bit weak, and just chalked it up to poor sleep the night before. But same thing today, and it seems a touch worse a few hours after taking the 200mg CoQ10. I decided to check my BP, and it got as low as 56/89. I normally have low BP, but that's pretty damn low.

Should I discontinue? Can CoQ10 cause hypotension this soon? Or is it likely something else?

L'engle

moogle
@bigmillz I had a similar reaction to a sample of ubiquinol once as you describe in the first paragraph, and never took it again.

As for the regular Coq10 I haven't had a blood pressure drop to my knowledge, but have had racing heart and insomnia. I wouldn't be surprised if it can change blood pressure though, given its cardiovascular effects.

flybro

i take 30mgx2 twice a day and feel a definite nenfit, I first tried a higher dose capsule and didnt get along with it.

bigmillz

There's a distinct numbness/tingle in my hands too once in a while. Barely noticeable, but something I normally don't experience. I am on Freddd's B12 protocol, and I did take some potassium not too long ago to rule that out.

@bigmillz I had a similar reaction to a sample of ubiquinol once as you describe in the first paragraph, and never took it again.

As for the regular Coq10 I haven't had a blood pressure drop to my knowledge, but have had racing heart and insomnia. I wouldn't be surprised if it can change blood pressure though, given its cardiovascular effects.

Looks like it's rare, but I guess for someone already running low BP, it's possible.

Something's definitely up, because I haven't felt this slow in forever. It's pretty unique.

i take 30mgx2 twice a day and feel a definite nenfit, I first tried a higher dose capsule and didnt get along with it.

What happened at the higher dose?

Last edited:

flybro

i kept feeling nauseous.

This is a daft side note,..

Our old cat 20+yrs went nuts for my Q10, he manged to pinch one, and soon after, he had a fit. It may have been coincidental, but it happened three times before i noticed it.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I have low BP (80/50 when lying down is average) and coQ10 lowers it even more. The last time I tried 200mg of regular coQ10 I could feel my BP drop within an hour. I felt so slow and sluggish I could barely stay awake. The effect lasted for most of the day, and I still felt more sluggish than normal on the next day. I'm already bedbound much of the day due to low BP so the coQ10 just made things worse. A little research showed that 200mg or more can lower BP.

BTW, if you start getting headaches-of-unknown-origin then it may be the PQQ. I did well on it for a couple of weeks but then started getting headaches so I stopped taking it. Headaches are a known side-effect. Some people do well with every-other-day dosing. After a month break I tried PQQ again but became exhausted from one pill. Previously it gave me more energy.

bigmillz

I have low BP (80/50 when lying down is average) and coQ10 lowers it even more. The last time I tried 200mg of regular coQ10 I could feel my BP drop within an hour. I felt so slow and sluggish I could barely stay awake. The effect lasted for most of the day, and I still felt more sluggish than normal on the next day. I'm already bedbound much of the day due to low BP so the coQ10 just made things worse. A little research showed that 200mg or more can lower BP.

BTW, if you start getting headaches-of-unknown-origin then it may be the PQQ. I did well on it for a couple of weeks but then started getting headaches so I stopped taking it. Headaches are a known side-effect. Some people do well with every-other-day dosing. After a month break I tried PQQ again but became exhausted from one pill. Previously it gave me more energy.

This sounds like what's happening to me. I didn't take an CoQ10 today, but I understand it can take some time to wear off with a 33 hour half life. Definitely still affecting me today.

I may try a week off the PQQ too just to make sure it hasn't flip-flopped on me.

Thanks for sharing.