• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hyposensitive nervous system, relief from ME symptoms during migraines- anyone else?

AlwaysTired

So it seems one common thread among people with CFS/ME is hypersensitive nervous system, resulting in sensitivity to sound and light, anxiety, depression etc...

I actually have the reverse- the anxiety, depression, and heightened senses (esp. to sound and light) that I've had all my life pretty much disappeared during this illness.

The only neurological manifestation was frequent migraines, during which all my symptoms (fatigue, brain fog, pressure under eyes) completely disappeared

So my nervous system got hyposensitive instead of hypersensitive. Before experiencing a relapse about a week ago, I had an extended period of remission, during which I experienced extreme anxiety and oversensitivity to light and sound, uncomfortable nervous energy, esp. in my hands and feet, and a superhuman amount of energy that only intense workouts could dispel, and no PEM despite pushing my body so much.

The anxiety was so bad that I had to do something to treat it, and as the treatments (CBD oil, lamotrigine, meditation, psychotherapy) and once these began to help, and the anxiety was really diminished some PEM took place and then I relapsed. I have brief moments during this relapse where I'm less fatigued, but during those I experience the anxiety again!

Ok, so to get to my point with this, I was looking today at some stuff about Goldstein and gleaned that he sees dysautonomia as the root of CFS and uses drugs that Reduce hypersensitivity to get people better. Some of these I happen to be on (lamotrigine, sumatriptan), one (sertraline) I was on for a few months recently, and one (paroxetine) I was on during my initial 3 years of CFS, and the 14 years prior to it (i am off of it now as it was clear that it was no longer working for my anxiety once the CFS symptoms subsided). Should note the doses I take or took of all these were the doses that are recommended on his list.

This has led me to wonder if being off these drugs will wipe out my CFS symptoms again, but of course the price of that will be terrible anxiety.

Also wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have with the hypo rather than hypersensitivity, and what treatments proved effective for you?

The migraine connection makes more sense, since nitrous oxide is released during one, but I the effect only lasts during the migraine, and i wonder if that means that taking NO will have the same short lived effect.

If anyone has some insights or a similar experience I'd be interested to hear them

Last edited: