1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hypertension following Vitamin D supplementation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by lift, Aug 19, 2014.

1. lift

lift

I normally have mild hypertension 135-150/85-100. But following a 10 day supplementation of vitamin D which would have totaled 115,000IU(5000-15,000 IU per day) I had a case of what would be classed as severe hypertension 165-178/95-115. It lasted around 7-10 days and now my blood pressure has returned to the original mild hypertension range.

From what I have read vitamin D deficiency can cause hypertension and I do actually have low vitamin D, hence the supplementing. But also Vitamin D toxicity can cause hypertension. There's 3 possible reasons I have come up with for the cause of the hypertension:

1) Vitamin D causing magnesium depletion
    2) Short term vitamin D toxicity
    3) coincidental and unrelated to vitamin D supplementation.

Early on(day 2-7 of supplementation) I felt my mood was better and it felt like the bone pain in my feet that i notice in the mornigns went away. It could have been placebo.

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I have issues with Vit D, in my case is allergy like symptoms, I am mutated in the VDR gene (I think is the Vit D one). I am low but I felt so miserable on it that I just go outside and get sun instead. But what kind of D are you doing D3????

4. rwac

rwac Senior Member

Large doses of vitamin D can cause hypercalcemia. Have you checked for elevated serum calcium? What are your normal levels of vit D like? Have you tested for elevated PTH, it can increase conversion to the active form and increase serum calcium.
    Vitamin K2 MK-4/vitamin A should work to lower the calcium.

5. lift

lift

I was taking Now's vitamin d3 cholecalciferol

Rwac, that was one of the theories I had actually. However, during my severe hypertensive period I had a blood test done that showed that calcium I think was 9.86 and Parathyroid was 3.5, smack bang in the middle of the range. I was actually disappointed that I dont have hyperparathyroidism. It seems like an easy fix.

6. rwac

rwac Senior Member

Do you have units and a range for those values?

Might be worth trying vitamin A(retinol), K2(MK4) and perhaps vitamin E(vegetable oil free for best effect). All of them will reduce blood pressure.

See more popular forum discussions.