• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hydrocortisone users?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Those who use hc for adrenal dysfunction or maybe just stress dosing, do u find increasing hc dose slightly helps for a few days when hit by a cold or flu?

Groggy Doggy

Those who use hc for adrenal dysfunction or maybe just stress dosing, do u find increasing hc dose slightly helps for a few days when hit by a cold or flu?
I improve with just about any condition with a short dose of oral cortisone. I feel better, breath better, reduce inflammation, reduction in pain, and have more energy. I never have any side effects with a short term dosage. If cortisone didn't cause any long term side effects, I would take it daily. I've only used hydrocortisone as a cream for skin rashes.

I improve with just about any condition with a short dose of oral cortisone. I feel better, breath better, reduce inflammation, reduction in pain, and have more energy. I never have any side effects with a short term dosage. If cortisone didn't cause any long term side effects, I would take it daily. I've only used hydrocortisone as a cream for skin rashes.
Doing my bit to spread awareness about topical steroids(steroid creams) here: please look up topical steroid addiction/red skin syndrome, ITSAN.

Crux

Hi @heapsreal ;

Yes, increasing HC with any sort of suspected infection helps, or rather, prevents worsening of symptoms and infection.

As you know, cortisol, in healthies, is supposed to increase with any sort of infection.

My pituitary hardly produces ACTH, thus, no cortisol. ( I may never learn of the origin, but I'm pretty sure it was from infections translocating from oral and sinus areas. Can only guess. Father had AI symptoms, many infections, many high doses of HC.)

In the past, I was able to only increase HC to battle most infections, but now, I'm having to add abx. Herbals used to help. Sometimes, I combine herbals with abx.

Hot mess, no fever.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hi @heapsreal ;

Yes, increasing HC with any sort of suspected infection helps, or rather, prevents worsening of symptoms and infection.

As you know, cortisol, in healthies, is supposed to increase with any sort of infection.

My pituitary hardly produces ACTH, thus, no cortisol. ( I may never learn of the origin, but I'm pretty sure it was from infections translocating from oral and sinus areas. Can only guess. Father had AI symptoms, many infections, many high doses of HC.)

In the past, I was able to only increase HC to battle most infections, but now, I'm having to add abx. Herbals used to help. Sometimes, I combine herbals with abx.

Hot mess, no fever.

I mostly use pregnenolone and stress dose hc when working long stints etc. I took a 5mg dose twice yesterday, a low dose, and felt better for it. I actually slept better last night. Night before last was a shocker.

Like u say our cortisol levels naturally are suppose to go up after an infection, probably to help control inflammation etc. I think this extra inflammation was a part of the reason i slept so bad 2 nights ago.

I think many of us dont have obvious low cortisol but also dont have the ability to produce extra cortisol during stressful periods like colds/flu . Also cortisol rthym is whacked in many of us.

Crux

It's been a long time since I tried pregnenolone, got pretty hopped up, guess I didn't convert it to cortisol.
Good that it works in your case, maybe less side effects?

Inflammation is the main cause for my insomnia. Keep trying to pin down the causes. Infection is the most recent, and biggest.

The cortisol has to be just right for sleep, it's true that too low = bad sleep, too high = bad sleep.

I may try Preg. again. See what happens. I'm now able to tolerate small dose of trans. DHEA. I think infections can cause many intolerances. Microbes can utilize anything and leave us with inflammation from their metabolites.