1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Humans having genetic "chimera" is very common

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by SilverbladeTE, Nov 15, 2013.

1. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    forgive me, note sure where I found this item now maybe on forums already!
    sigh "my little grey cells" are pooped :p

anyway, this if true, would as I've warned fo years, prove that the damn arrogance of "confidence" is severely misplaced. There is far too much variance in Humans, or any higher organism, to be certain of anything but the most gross basics when doing studies.
    i.e. studies done with handfuls of people on potentially lethal drugs etc, and are then said to be "confidant" is ridiculous. It's all about marketing and avoiding legal or moral repercussions by lying about it often to themselves!
    All treatments are "Russian Roulette", just be honest about it and stop worshipping the Great God of Health and his White Coated Minions, and when possible in future, full genomic sequencing of all participants in studies will be needed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/science/dna-double-take.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    It has been long known that twins can share genetic material. So they can both be chimera. This is of course even more complicated with large multiple births. Sometimes this results in bizarre and rare medical disorders.

Cells that mutate during development and then mature to become an arm, or leg, or kidney, will carry that mutation with them. However these are not passed down to descendants.

All women are genetic mosaics of another kind. Only one X chromosome is active, although I think it can be parts of one and parts of the other that are active. However in different parts of the body it might be a different X chromosome.

Gene duplication or deletion is common. Modern grasses, if I recall it correctly, have many copies of the same chromosomes over and over, leading to multiple sets of chromosomes. Each chromosome can then mutate, crossover and evolve independently.

peggy-sue likes this.
  3. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    All females are mosaics - there are two X-chromosomes in each cell, one is "turned off", and becomes the Barr body.

It tends to happen in big clumps of either the paternal line or the maternal line, it is not randomly distributed - I don't think anybody knows how or why it happens in big lumps.

It's something that has been studied in fruit flies for donkey's years, and it's why tortoiseshell cats are all females.

I think it might also have something to do with why cloned cats do not produce the same appearance as the parental cell.

4. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    And if it happens in humans and cats, it can happen in viruses and retroviruses. This process was inferred in one of the studies done for Ampligen. They found what appeared to be small, "novel" retroviral particles inside EBV in mecfs patients.

5. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Iqitos said; "And if it happens in humans and cats, it can happen in viruses and retroviruses."

Not really, Iquitos.

Viruses are not even single cell organisms; they are something less than that.

A chimera needs to be of a two cell minimum - one cell for each of two types.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    alex3619 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.