• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Humans are frugivores"

Hip

Apparently in 1979, Professor Alan Walker, a paleoanthropologist at Johns Hopkins University, published a preliminary study of tooth enamel in early hominoids suggesting that pre-human ancestors had a diet of mostly fruit.

So conceivably we may have been frugivores in the distant past, and may have been anatomically and metabolically adapted to that diet. Though that does not imply we are primarily frugivores now.

Though if we are adapted to fruit, vegetables and nuts, why can nuts keep you awake at night because they take longer to digest?! I love nuts, but have to avoid eating them in the evening, otherwise I find myself unable to get to sleep quickly.

Last edited:

IreneF

1) I thought this whole frugivore thing had been thoroughly debunked.

2) Because some people can/can't eat ______ doesn‘t mean that the entire species can/can't eat ______.