• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Huge problems with fall asleep and turn off my brain from day to day - please help

MartinK

Hi all!
Among the improvements I have recently experienced from HBOT, one problem sends me back to the bottom, to PEM.
Its massive problem with fall asleep - it come from day to day, three weeks ago (one week before my HBOT start). It's crazy - when I go to sleep, the brain starts to work, million thoughts come, chaos...and I fall to nervous after 2 hours rotations in bed! :-/
While it takes a long time, it started tingling nerves throughout the body - meditations not work, only huge loads of sleeping pills turn me off. :-/

This whole thing destroys me the next day - PEM. HBOT help me a lot with many problems....but this problem with sleep really stops all long-term benefits.

Im really desperate from it...I do not want to use so much chemistry from sleep pills...xanax or something else.
It came from day to day and I dont know what to do...

Sometimes I feel that my brain is running at 200% at night and I have the most energy of all day...really crazy!

Please, help me with some opinions and experiences...I have no experience with this

thanks a lot! Martin

mattie

Same here Martin,
Unfortunately this is a pretty common symptom of this disease.
I struggle with the same decisions regarding chemical sleep aids.

Benzo's are bad.
But so is extreme sleep deprivation.

Now you will probably get a lot of posts after this suggesting all kinds of herbal remedies or supplements. They don't work for severe insomnia.

bertiedog

Now you will probably get a lot of posts after this suggesting all kinds of herbal remedies or supplements. They don't work for severe insomnia.

From time to time I have suffered with similar issues for many years now and in the past they could trigger panic attacks because they were so horrible. These days if I start to feel the process kick off I take just a quarter of clonazapan on top of the 25 mg Pregabalin I take before getting into bed but also I put on a guided meditation which just goes on throughout the night till I switch it off. It's on an old IPOD. I do have to concentrate hard on the words being said and try and ignore all the thoughts that my brain is trying to bombard me with.

It might take an hour for this to work but thankfully for the vast majority of the time I go off in a deep sleep for at least 5 hours.

Pam

LINE

A few things I have noted:

1/ Histamine release will keep me awake, Benedryl takes care of that.

2/ GABA Calm (Source Naturals) works wonders for me. Since taking this product, my anxiety went way down and now I only take it as needed.

3/ Magnesium or Calcium with magnesium.

geraldt52

I don't know how you feel about alcohol, but it was/is very helpful for me in similar circumstances. If I spend an hour or two in bed trying to relax and haven't yet fallen asleep I get up, have a single shot of vodka, and immediately go back to bed. It will nearly always relax me just enough to fall asleep. Sometimes I'll be able to stay asleep, sometimes I will only stay asleep a few hours, but a few hours is vastly better than no sleep at all. I've been doing this for years with no ill effects.

MEPatient345

The best thing I have found for this is to limit cognitive activity during day.. no “work” type activity like researching online or emails.

An alternative to benzo’s Or sleep meds that calms my brain is codeine in cocodamol or Tylenol 3 (solpadeine has caffeine) But, it’s an opiate, so be careful if you are worried about addiction.

BadBadBear

Some things that calm my brain down at night:

-Benadryl, not sure if its histamine or what, but Benadryl helps alot
- Niacin, pretty much a knock out drug for me, I am an overmethylator and I think this is part of the helpful action
- Things that lower night time cortisol, ex. zinc and holy basil aka Tulsi taken at least an hour before I need to be in bed
- CBD and/or Indica can be very helpful, I do better with more CDB and just a bit of Indica (small enough amt that I don't feel much from it)

I have been really surprised at how helpful Niacin has been. I know its not for everyone, but it calms my whole body and brain down, and if I go off of it, the insomnia comes right back.

MartinK

Hey all, thanks a lot!!!
last nights was really hard...meditations really calm me, but still can not fall asleep...
I work on leaky gut now, and Im really affraid from put more and more chemistry and toxicity to my gut now.

few my last supplements what I start before this sleep problems are:

NT Factor
Yucca
Ashwagandha
and two days before sleep problems started, I tried Xanax, because I was anxious (it was hard days with PEM)
but I do not know whether it could run this problem...

Martin

hangininthere

Since the racing thoughts have started in recent weeks, try backtracking by discontinuing all the supplements you're on and see which one(s) may be causing the racing thoughts.

Even a supplement you've been on for a long time without ill effect can start causing a bad reaction. Sometimes a bad reaction continues even after discontinuing the offending substance.

For racing thoughts I take non-prescription over-the-counter Lithium Orotate. (Not the lithium that is by prescription, because that's a different form of lithium.)

A high-dose of Magnesium (1,000 mg.) can be calming and also help you snap out of a bad reaction that is lasting even after you discontinue the offending supplement(s).

Patti

Last edited:

BadBadBear

Are you sure ashwaganda helps you sleep? For me it was very stimulating. Had to take it in the morning. :) I know it makes some people sleep better, just make sure and test it out by itself.

Seven7

Seven
In my case ( by labs) the imflamtion citokines are signaling the brain and does not allow me to sleep.
If I avoid all inflammatory foods and take Celebrex or 3 Advil ( anything you have).
It helps. For long term I take inmune modulators drug.
You can try inmune mod tea like acai tea ( google inmune modulator herbs and use what you have) see if it helps.

soxfan

Are you sure ashwaganda helps you sleep? For me it was very stimulating. Had to take it in the morning. :) I know it makes some people sleep better, just make sure and test it out by itself.
Ashwagandha made me feel stimulated at night too...my doctor had me taking it in the morning and night...had to quit the night dose.

MartinK

[QUOTE = "BadBadBear, post: 970860, člen: 10716"] Jste si jisti, že ashwaganda vám pomůže spát? Pro mě to bylo velmi podnětné. Muselo to vzít ráno. :) Vím, že někteří lidé spí lépe, jen se ujistěte a vyzkoušejte to sám. [/ QUOTE]

Hi! I use Ashwagandha for Lyme, I only wrote, that I have start to use it before those problems...I'll try to stop it or use only in morning! ;-)
thanks a lot!

Martin

MartinK

@lnester7 my lab tests shows only IL-8 problem, Celebrex helps with PGE..right? I have problem with PGE2 from my lab tests...
In last two months I work really hard on avoid of inflammatory foods, trying SCD diet...it looks like, my gut is better and better, but inflammation feelings are still pretty hard!
thanks a lot for tips! ;-)

Martin