• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Huge autism genome project returns empty handed. ZERO

natasa778

Then there is the Asperger's (which is a mild form of autism) which runs in my family (dad, me and my daughter who has it far worst then I. She had one to one right throu primary school as she didnt behave normally).. my daughter NEVER had vaccination as I was anti vaccination after a bad reaction my first child go to one (she seemed to catch the very thing the vaccination was supposed to protect her from and doctors didnt know what to make of this.. if she was contagious or what). So with my second child.. no way was she going to have vaccination.. Thing is.. my unvaccinated child still ended up with Aspergers (while my child who did have some vaccinations doesnt have Aspergers)...

The Aspergers traits were there from the start.. (from only days old I noticed my baby was different to normal but just had thought at first it was something to do with her personality, I just couldnt have known at that time it was Aspergers). She was thou obviously Aspergers by a few years old.

Tania, you could simply be passing on something environmental among your family!!

See the Economist article, link above.

SilverbladeTE

Science works by disproving things
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

this is a hard rock for the cover up artists to swallow and hide
it's good knowledge for researchers either to replicate for confirmation, or to know where not to look

and yes I believe it was environmental but ya still need PROOF for it to be more than belief
:)

nanonug

No, I don't agree that it is OK to spend a HUGE FRACTION OF LIMITED RESEARCH FUNDS on something that is very likely irrelevant anyway.

Two things: given that this research involved 23andme, I suspect that funding was private (but correct me if I am wrong, please.) If this is indeed the case, no one gets to agree or disagree with how others spend their own money. Also, major discoveries in science were made when the "obvious" was tested and found to be not so obvious. Personally, I find this research very important and not at all a waste of limited funds.

alex3619

It does not prove its infection. It means that if autism is a single disorder its not genetic. Infection is only one environmental factor. There is good reason to think some autism is infection. Just like CFS, autism is likely to be many things that just resemble each other. There is also reason to think some autism is autoimmune or autoinflammatory. My guess is that several different things will turn out to be the cause, leading to several different types of autism, with a spectrum of severity within each. That probably includes genetics for subgroups within the disorder.

Ideally science does operate just by disproving, but also by proposing. Put simply: hypothesize and test. Ideally this starts with an hypothesis about which confirming evidence can be found, sufficient to justify serious testing. Then you test the hypothesis to see if it breaks (unless you are stuck in antiquated research practices). So there are multiple phases. Confirmatory studies do have value, but by themselves alone they are not reliable, and cannot be said to be robust.

It really amazes me that the science of all this is so haphazard. CFS, autism, GWS, ME, fibro: very few agencies/countries have a systematic approach. Its too much "I have a theory which might explain some of it, so now I will test only this bit." There needs to be more cooperation between researchers, and a systematic review of research. The only country that has attempted this that I am aware of is Japan, and only for CFS, and its not enough for one country to do it. There is too much research that needs doing.

A serious lack of government research funding is a big part of the problem. Governments hate caughing up money to pay for illness and disability. Yet they don't want to do the one thing that can fix it: pay for research. Its like complaining about a massive debt but only ever paying the interest bill, never the real debt. Instead they have this myth that private research will do it, or some magic process will occur and someone will just come up with the answer.

Serendipity is nice but cannot be relied up. The massive increase in neuroimmune diseases (or whatever they really are) is only going to increase exponentially from what I am seeing (at least until it approaches a limit). What would be nice is multinational coordinated, planned and funded research efforts.

The recent trend of multi-national and multi-agency research in ME is a good thing. Maybe with cooperation in institutes all over the world we will ifinally be able to sort out the pieces and get a real picture. The same goes for the other neuroimmune diseases including autism spectrum.

Bye, Alex

natasa778

Alex I have to slightly disagree with this point, at least in relation to autism

A serious lack of government research funding is a big part of the problem. Governments hate caughing up money to pay for illness and disability. Yet they don't want to do the one thing that can fix it: pay for research.

Since congress passed Combat Autism Act lots and lots of money has been wasted on research aimed at NOT combating the disease.

this is generalised and might not be 100% acurate (it is probably even worse in reality as 'gene-environment' research is still mostly 'gene', ie useless in clinical practice) but gives you an idea of how to waste research money and make yourself look busy at the same time http://www.rescuepost.com/.a/6a00d8357f3f2969e201761786bf70970c-pi

(still these figures pale in comparison to what they will be having to spend when one in 90 kids (more in some other countries) turn into very disabled adults...)

Hi,

I just found and read this thread. My son is 100% unvaccinated in terms of childhood vaxes and he has a dx of moderate level autism, apraxia of speech, Crohn's disease ("autistic entercolitis"), Hashimoto's, and Cerebral Folate Deficiency Syndrome. (Last one was dx'd by Dr. Richard Frye MD PhD via blood test for anti-bodies and lumbar puncture for CSF Folate levels.) I did have the RhoGAM shot at 28 weeks pregnancy, plus I had 16 hours of Pitocin (induces labor) before I ended up with a non-emergency c-section.

I do not have a lot of time to write about my son's health issues right now, but I will write more later. Some things to think about....Dr. Bock MD has written that one in three kids with an ASD dx have a fairly close relative that had an early onset heart attack (similarity with autism is inflammation and metabolism of short chain fatty acids). My father in law died from a severe heart attack at age 53. Dr. Jeff Bradstreet MD believes that up to 70% of autism is viral. (This is where the vaccines come into play.) Many mothers of children who have ASDs have some type of auto-immune disorder themselves; in our case, my husband's brother has Grave's Disease (as well as CFID/ME). Not all children have immune systems that can trigger an appropriate immune response to SO many viruses being injected into them at once in a vaccine like the MMR or the quad vaccine (MMR plus chicken pox..that one was recalled by Merck, I believe, and taken off of the market). Most of my autism parent friends' children have had a vaccine reaction of some kind.

Since pitocin comes from a cow, I believe that Pitocin, just like the viruses in vaccines, may contain "wild viruses", similar to the SV40 virus that was in a strain of polio vaccines in the 1940s and 1950s. I believe that the RhoGAM shot caused harm to my son, in addition to the Pitocin. I am realizing now though, that probably my body has been retaining some viruses, and my son acquired the viruses while he was in me. He had a slow decline into autism, not a sharp regression. (Milk was a huge problem with brain fog due to his CFD dx. He is also a very poor methylator; MB12 injections helped to remove a huge "blanket" that had been over him. Dr. Kendal Stewart MD, who practices in Austin, TX, has found that the parents of children who have ASDs, are also poor methylators.....we do not detox well.

Currently, we just started GcMAF injections from Dr. Jeff Bradstreet. Dr. Bradstreet dilutes the GcMAF b/c he has found that both autism and CFID/ME patients cannot handle the higher doses of GcMAF that cancer patients can handle.

This is all that I can write for right now b/c my son just arrived home from special ed. One thing that I will note before I "sign off" is that my son had extensive genetic testing at Cleveland Clinic, as well as mitochondrial testing. He has 17 deletions on Chromosome 17. The MD at CC thought this had something to do with his neuro functioning. I do not believe him though, b/c my son continues to improve with biomedical and medical treatments.

Madison