1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HTLV: Conference Highlights of the 15th Conference on human retrovirology

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Overstressed, May 2, 2012.

1. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    This conference was held last year, and the information perhaps not 'hot news', but I did some interesting findings. The highlights can be found here:

http://www.retrovirology.com/content/8/1/86

HTLV infected carriers show also reduced NK-cell activity and numbers:

(...) What are the causes and consequences of the observed reduction in the number and activity of NK cells in HTLV-1 infection?(...)

HTLV infected carriers show increased IgE immunoglobulins:

(...)Elevated levels of total immunoglobulin E (IgE) predicted a lower risk of ATL. The authors suggested that a biomarker pattern predictive of heightened T-cell activation and HTLV-1 replication, as well as diminished type II immunity, can be associated with ATL.(...)

Concerning the increased IgE, it appears they here have a bio-marker, i.e., high IgE means a lower risk for developing ATL(=adult T-cell lymphoma and leukemia).

Best regards,
    OS.

See more popular forum discussions.