• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HTLV-1's replication: Perhaps it can explain XMRV's low degree of mutations

The FDA is close to approving Tofacitinib for the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), but more importantly, the drug has been shown to be effective again BOTH disorders caused by HTLV, ATL and HAM (see article below). Therefore HTLV sufferers can tell their doctors "I have have arthritis" and receive actual treatment for their suffering!

A Role for Tofacitinib Within the Treatment of ATL and HAM/TSP:
The chemistry technology section at NCGC has aided the Waldmann lab (NCI) in using a Jak3 inhibitor for the potential treatment of ATL and HAM/TSP. The retrovirus, human T cell lymphotrophic virus-1 (HTLV-I) is the etiologic agent of adult T cell leukemia (ATL) and the neurological disorder, HTLV-I-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP). The HTLV-I encoded protein tax constitutively activates IL-2, IL-9 and IL-15 autocrine/paracrine systems, that in turn, activate the Jak3/STAT5 pathway, suggesting a therapeutic strategy that involves targeting Jak3.

xrayspex

I thought about testing for JAK 2 when I found out i have high b12, because that can be related....is jak3 similar to jak2? jak 2 are myloproliferative (sp) disorders

Apoptosis.jpg
JAK's are Janus Kinase, and the attached diagram (assuming that I can attach it) shows how interleukin can be stimulated by JAK to provide survival of HTLV infected cells. Inhibitors of JAK should allow those HTLV infected cells to die, which should help greatly in people suffering from HTLV caused disorders like HAM (paralysis) and ATL (leukemia). Examples of JAK inhibitors are AG490 and Tofacitinib (which is near approval by the FDA).

Regarding your question about different JAKs, JAKs 1, 2, and 3 exist, but surprisingly Tofacitinib did as good a job of inhibiting all three as did separate inhibitors per JAK.